• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LKC5489

LKC5489

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

ok hypothetically, if i'm using a kwikset with 5 pins and its not working (it usually does in other locks,) and i try the 6 pins for the same type of lock is it possible to get stuck? or will it work even if the lock is only 5 pins.
and also are there any cons to using the lubricant that they sell? i know it supposed to make it easier, but is there any way it can mess things up? or is it always a good idea to use it?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Since the keyways are the same when viewed externally, it is possible that you're up against a 6 pin Kwikset keyway (KW10). It is possible that the lock in question is a five pin that is just fouled up or keyed very high, making it difficult to bump.

Depending on the type of lock, there may or may not be a backstop. Try inserting the KW10 bump key and see if you hit any resistance before the key has been inserted completely. If you do hit resistance, then it is most certainly a five pin. If not, it's either a six pin or a five pin lacking a stop, and in either case it would be safe to use the KW10 to bump it.

The lubricant is a good idea if the lock is old/worn/dirty/cheap. There really isn't any downside to using it, although using it unnecessarily is not recommended as it can make the internal motion of the lock too fluid, if the lock is new and tight, especially if a lot is used. So, in short, use it only when necessary, and in moderation.

#3 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Regarding lubrication, it only works when lock is too old or get rusty inside. I never used any lubrication in the lock because most of the locks are OK and working fine to me.
Sandy