5 replies to this topic

#1 eardor

eardor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

I got a couple questions.
How long do these keys normally last? Considering it's just a tiny piece of metal left I figure it would wear out

I read a couple posts on here where people were gonna get copies from hardware stores. How reliable are copies in that situation if there copies?

I saw in a couple videos on line some people had rubber piece on the shoulder I guess so the key auto resets after bumping. Can you explain them and where to get them?

customer support can you shed some light on my questions. I tried googling what that rubber thing was called and got nothing. Since you are the professional I figure you can knock these few questions out.

Edited by Customer Support, 01 February 2009 - 09:27 PM.
doublt posts

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I got a couple questions.
How long do these keys normally last? Considering it's just a tiny piece of metal left I figure it would wear out

As you can imagine, this is all depends on a number of factors... are you just practicing ? Changes are you don't yet have 'the touch' down yet and you're more prone to hitting too hard and potentially breaking a key. That being said, we have some KW1 keys that are VERY old (well over 2 years) and even though the peaks are quite small they still bump.

How reliable are copies in that situation if there copies?

Copies can be a crap-shoot. The copy will only be as good if the person operating the machine KNOWS how to use it. One of the problems coudl be the operator using the machine too fast and having the cutter 'jump' over the peaks which will cause brass to be left behind.

I saw in a couple videos on line some people had rubber piece on the shoulder I guess so the key auto resets after bumping. Can you explain them and where to get them?

I believe what you've seen is where someone will take a bump key, file down the shoulder more than is recommended and then put a rubber over where the shoulder should be. Our keys are not modified to work out of the box in this fashion; reason being is damage could be sustained to the lock if the washer were NOT used. One of the spots damage might occur is on the back plate when the key is bumped into the lock.

:banana:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 eardor

eardor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

okay. Thank you for your help and quick responses. Do you think a "bump hammer" betters odds for success or is that tool irrelevant to ones success on bumping? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. I just finally found someone with alot of knowledge.

#4 Say_Wat

Say_Wat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

I made my own bump hammer and found it helped greatly in my bumping. I'm sure a store bought hammer is better than home made, but if you do want to make your own, I used some thin steel as the handle (Some use a hack saw blade) and for the rubber tip I bought a hockey puck and just cut it into a square so it wasn't quite as bulky. The puck seems to be a nice and hard rubber so it is probably well suited for a hammer tip, but basically to answer your question yes a hammer does seem to help out a lot as appose to random things like screwdriver handles.

#5 eardor

eardor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

yeah. I went ahead and ordered one. It has a round head to hopefully avoid some beat up fingers. From what I gathered on the research I did, they do help alot because they are weighted so it tends to hit more firmly and improves success rate

#6 eardor

eardor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

okay. So the hammer really does help alot over a screwdriver. It's weighted perfectly and it feels good bumping, it's so smooth.