More issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

I am still struggling a little with door locks. I can easily do a padlock, I just have troubles with door locks. I use the pull out a notch method, and it works fine with the padlocks, I've heard its not the best method for door locks. But with the other method (shave the shoulder and whatnot) I notice that with the extra half a millimeter, it doesnt really do anything different. I mean, I can push the key in a little further, but it doesnt seem to change anything. I've tried bumping it like that for a while now, and it doesnt seem to work. The other method I use, the pull it out a pin, and hitting it in, works about once every 30 times.

What am I doing wrong?

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

It's almost impossible to say for sure.
The first thing that comes to mind is that the tension could be off a bit?

Did you file too much off the tip?
I've found that it's best to file as little as possible first.. and then go back and refile if it's needed.

Sorry I can't be of more service. :( There's just a lot of variables that go into the mix.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:46 PM

try shaving off a little more. you should be able to feel/see the key get pushed out slightly by the pins moving up the side. i have found on a couple of door locks, you need just a little more than what they say (feel free to correct, but this is what i have found works)

#4 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

can I get some high resolution pics of your guys keys, just to compare the cuts?

#5 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

I did what you said, and shaved off some more shoulder and tip, and it works 98% of the time now, thanks!

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

try shaving off a little more. you should be able to feel/see the key get pushed out slightly by the pins moving up the side. i have found on a couple of door locks, you need just a little more than what they say (feel free to correct, but this is what i have found works)

Show off. :wink:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#7 bumpme

bumpme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

just tap gently

#8 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

also it is shock force science althogh you hit a door lock you also shock the handle possably a deadbolt the whole door etc. in a pad u hit what 9 cubic in. of steal.. not to far for the shock to travel

#9 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

while hitting with a hammer there should be some space for key to get in so file the tip bit more if there is no play while hitting.