Photo
- - - - -

Are all new padlocks / master locks bump proof?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 abby

abby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:44 AM

I just wanted to practice so I bought all 3 styles Wal-Greens had in stock and NONE of the keys fit and I bought all 5 M keys from BumpKey.us. And these were cheap locks like $3.00 - $6.00

#2 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Sounds like you got some cheap chinese locks. Get either master or brinks, then the keys will work.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

---> abby:

I know the locks that you're talking about from Wal-Greens. None of the keys fit because the key most commonly used on that specific brand, usually simply marked "CHINA", is typically a mirror image of a master M1 keyway, for reasons unknown. You could simply copy your existing M1 to the M1R blank, if appropriate, but the blanks are more difficult to come by, and the locks are of such poor quality that bumping is actually rather problematic... the tighter the lock, the easier it is to bump.

My best guess for the weird keyway is to prevent easy duplication, resulting in people buying new locks when they lose one or more of the keys.

#4 Revelationsx29a

Revelationsx29a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Not directly related to the problem you describe, but Master has begun utilizing their BumpStop technology in their padlock product lines.
http://revelationx29a.com/index.php

Fringe discussion in an intellectual environment.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hahahaha... the movie on the bumpstop site doesn't even provide a realistic model of how bumping works. In their example, the bottom pins jump with the top pins, while in reality they don't move appreciably. Additionally, their "magical bump stop top pin" apparently defies both gravity and spring tension as it hovers between the plug and the shell against a compressed spring.

Their idea is sound in design if and only if the person bumping is putting too much tension on the key. In that case, the edge of their magic pin will get caught on the edge of the shell as the lock begins to turn and prevent the lock from opening. A bit more striking force or a bit less tension will solve that problem straight away.

Edited by theopratr, 19 February 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#6 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:04 AM

I think all master locks or padlocks are not bump proof. I already bumped many master locks and padlocks which are tricky to bump but with little practice you can bump that easily.
Sandy