3 replies to this topic

#1 Timbo

Timbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:28 AM

Evenin'

Long before I purchased a set of bump keys, I attempted to make my own out of a padlock and key that I bought. I didn't know of anything about the proper measurement depths of the key valleys so I just filed them down to what appeared to be a proper point, using pictures I've seen online as a sort of basic guide.

Basically, upon inserting the key into the padlock and trying to bump it, the key became logded in there and I haven't been able to remove it since :lol:

So the question is, I'm wanting to try these bump keys on my own apartment door, specifically the Kwikset one, and I'm curious if there's any fear of them getting stuck in the lock, or if anyone's had this happen to them? Any advice for what to do if it does happen? :P At any rate, thanks much and let's hear it.

Timbo

#2 Zachary

Zachary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

To avoid a stuck key make sure all the riges are slanted to the point that the pin can slide past them. I wouldn't try on a lock you use regularily without prior trial first, run down to the local hardware store and buy a lock there to practice on first, a defiant deadbolt will run about 9.00, a kwikset will run about 11.00 (if I remember correctly).

#3 justinb

justinb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

Mine got stuck too

the first bump key i made had uneven cuts and i hit it too hard. It got stuck in my front door lock. i put a screwdriver through the back loop of the key and leaned back on it, and it snapped in two.

My mom wasnt as pissed as i thought she would be though :P

#4 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:03 PM

Stuck of key happens most of the time in bumping mostly when you are learning at initial stage. It happens when filing is not done in good and efficient way. if valleys are good it slips the pins but key stuck if valleys are not filed well.
Sandy