• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nivragrag

nivragrag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

I am trying to bump a door and I have the 11 key package but none of them fit, the sc1 and sc4 are the only ones that have the right pattern to be able to fit but are just barely to wide. What key do you think i would need or could i just get a copy made of the sc4 and then just file the copied keys width down?

Thanks.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

If the head pattern is the same, it's a Schlage lock for sure.

Although technically possible, reducing the width of the bump key manually is certainly not the best method, as there exists the distinct possibility of the key becoming lodged in the lock due to uneven filing. Additionally, there will probably be a good amount of wobble to the key which would make bumping difficult.

Check out bumpkey dot us and take a look at their SC20. That should solve just about any Schlage problem with a little bit of practice.

#3 nivragrag

nivragrag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

What is the difference between the SC20 and the SC1/SC4. Is it thinner, would it be able to fit into different keyholes? I found a random schlage key around my house that was also too thick, i filed it down to 999 and filed the width down enough so that it would fit the keyway, when i bumped it i could hear 2-3 pins drop but i didn't really file the peaks down very well at all so i think if i took my time i might be able to get it to work that way.

Thanks for the help

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

What is the difference between the SC20 and the SC1/SC4. Is it thinner, would it be able to fit into different keyholes? I found a random schlage key around my house that was also too thick, i filed it down to 999 and filed the width down enough so that it would fit the keyway, when i bumped it i could hear 2-3 pins drop but i didn't really file the peaks down very well at all so i think if i took my time i might be able to get it to work that way.

Thanks for the help

You are correct about the key being 'thinner'. Since the key is indeed thinner. SC20 (the 6 pin key) and the SC19 (5 pin key) have a VERY narrow profile and thus are much more prone to bending \ breaking by inexperienced users. The SC20\19 keys we use are made of a nickel silver (stronger than simply brass) and it's still possible for newbies to break them.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.