5 replies to this topic

#1 Old Red

Old Red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi guys,

New to the forum, and new to bumping in general. I have a couple of locks I'd like to practice on, but after trying for 20 mins, I had no joy. I started looking into these keys I got, and they do not seem right. The peaks are very low, and there are peaks where I would have figured there would be valleys. Yes this was an ebay purchase, but they are machine cut, so they had to be right... right? I'm thinking I shouldn't have cheaped out.

Have a look below, and let me know what you think. Did this guy sell me garbage?
(EDIT: that is a SC1 cut properly for my door underneath the bump key. Just showing as a comparison.)
Posted Image

Full set
Posted Image

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:02 AM

Certainly not the finest work I've seen.

As you can tell by lining your key up with the one you bought... it doesn't match up. The key might still be usable if you pull it out one and a half clicks, and bump it in to the half-click position it would want to assume... read also, possible however unlikely.

Some of the other keys look like real dirt... see the tip of the KW10, the peaks on the DE6... and I didn't check the spacing on any of the other ones.

Check out bumpkey.us and see what they have to offer.

#3 Old Red

Old Red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Yea, I'm not impressed, and will attempt to get my money back. I should have come here first, but I'm cheap lol. I'll spend the extra few bucks and get the 11 key set here, and then be done with it.

This guy isn't messaging me back either. I had a look at his feedback, and it all looks quite good, but the ones that neg'ed him, received a neg back in retaliation. If I can't convince this guy to give me a refund, I may just bite the bullet and let it go.

Thanks so much for confirming what I was already pretty sure about. I tried the KW1 many many times, and it wont work. I can hear a couple pins fall back down when I release pressure, but no successful bumps, and I'm quite sure I'm doing it right. Grr, I hate ebay some times... lol

#4 Old Red

Old Red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:19 AM

Well, I finally got a hold of the guy who sold them to me. Apparently they are modeled off of a commercially bought set of "Peterson Security Bump Keys" and work very well. Yea right. Anyways, he is going to take them back, which is good. I'll then buy a set from here.

#5 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Ive had no problems with the keys purchased here. Just make sure you make copies....never use the originals.:smile:

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

They may well be copies of Peterson Keys, which need to be purchased by a "security professional, licensed locksmith, law enforcement, military or other qualifying party."

Apparently such qualified parties can't figure out how to use a key copying machine, most notably with the KW10. I suspect that the Peterson keys come already modified for minimal movement, so copying them directly would simply produce useless keys, as the spacing would then be off.