19 replies to this topic

#1 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

History of Lock Bumping

How did the fascinating technique of lock bumping get its start? When did this lock bypass system begin to come to the attention of the public? What’s that, anyway? Let’s explore the interesting history of lock bumping and look at a few important details pertaining to it.

Lock bumping has been around for a long time. Some estimates place the beginnings of lock bumping to about 50 years ago. This special technique allows a special type of key to be used in any lock of the same type. Most of the locks that are currently being manufactured are susceptible to the skilled use of a bump key.

Tumbler locks are the most widespread style of lock in use today. The system of pins is quite simple. A series of pins are spring-stacked to hold the rotating bolt of the lock mechanism in place. Because the pins are all different lengths, one usually uses a custom cut key to open the lock. The grooves on the key “tickle” the pins and lift them out of the way enough to let the bolt slide away, resulting in an unlocked door. However, a bump key can do the same job even though all its grooves are the same depth.

Public knowledge of lock bumping really began in the 1970’s, when Danish locksmiths distributed a method for bypassing the tumbler lock mechanism. They would tap on the side of the cylinder and simultaneously press the lock plug (in our case, one would press the back of the bump key). The vibration would cause the pins to become loose; once this happened, the lock plug could be removed easily.

The advent of bump keys came much later. Surprisingly, they were not even considered a security problem until 2002 or 2003. The German media was the first to pick up on the possible hazards of lock bumping keys. Other organizations published carefully considered reports on the uses, techniques, and hazards of lock bumping. Papers have also been written about the possible legal problems connected with bump key usage. Although in many States a bump key is considered by law to be a “burglary tool”, this is no reason to avoid them. This law is not going to harm you as long as you use the bump key for legitimate purposes. Currently, there must be proof that there was intent to use the bump key in a burglary before you can be charged with anything.

Lock bumping can be a beneficial skill. It is an easy way to get back in if you are locked out of your home or office. You can make a bump key for free with a simple file, and it takes minimal training to learn how to use it. Don’t ever go through the frustration of being locked out of your own home (or your own personal safe) again. Learn how to use a bump key and practice until you know you can get past the tumbler locks in your home. One day, you’ll be glad you did.

DUPLICATION PROHIBITED
© Copyright 2008 - www.BumpKeyForum.com
  • xcaliber and redcity like this

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#2 bumplock

bumplock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

History of Lock Bumping

Tumbler locks are the most widespread style of lock in use today.

This is incorrect. The most widespread lock in todays world is a waffer lock. They are found in almost every car (90% or more) and almost every bathroom lock for paper towels and toilet paper.

One other point the oldest bumping record is a 1920s patent for a tool that bumps locks open.

#3 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

James was clearly talking about home door locks :)

This is incorrect. The most widespread lock in todays world is a waffer lock. They are found in almost every car (90% or more) and almost every bathroom lock for paper towels and toilet paper.

One other point the oldest bumping record is a 1920s patent for a tool that bumps locks open.

#4 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the share OP. I always thought that history of lock bumping is a little bit older.

#5 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

It would mean that the history of lock bumping started immediately after the modern locks like tumbler locks or door locks were invented right?

#6 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

It would mean that the history of lock bumping started immediately after the modern locks like tumbler locks or door locks were invented right?

Well, the fist glimpse of this technique was seen way back in 1950s, after that it got some more recognition and people developed new methods by using latest technology 

#7 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I have read somewhere that it was about late 1920's.. It's a US patent by H.R. Simpson called a rapping key. 

#8 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:33 AM

Here are some juicy information about key bumping from Wiki too ^^

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Lock_bumping

#9 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have read somewhere that it was about late 1920's.. It's a US patent by H.R. Simpson called a rapping key. 

Well, just made a search on Simpson, thats true, thanks for correcting me

#10 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the share OP. I always thought that history of lock bumping is a little bit older.

Could you tell us how many years old?

#11 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Well, just made a search on Simpson, thats true, thanks for correcting me

You're welcome. I am amazed how old key bumping is. If it is that old I wonder why locks that can be opened by bump keys are still in use to these days.

#12 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:57 AM

You're welcome. I am amazed how old key bumping is. If it is that old I wonder why locks that can be opened by bump keys are still in use to these days.

As far as i think it is the ignorance of the people that i recon in a good way because if everyone of us had known about bump keys in old days then definitely those locks had gone extinct smile.png

#13 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:36 AM

As far as i think it is the ignorance of the people that i recon in a good way because if everyone of us had known about bump keys in old days then definitely those locks had gone extinct smile.png

Right I agree. And now that it is all over the internet specially in you tube, I guess more people now are aware and been taking extra careful when it comes to security locks. But then of course the lock makers are not there just watching. Im sure they are also thinking of how to make their locks safe from bump keys and lock picking. They're not behind technology as well.

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

Right I agree. And now that it is all over the internet specially in you tube, I guess more people now are aware and been taking extra careful when it comes to security locks. But then of course the lock makers are not there just watching. Im sure they are also thinking of how to make their locks safe from bump keys and lock picking. They're not behind technology as well.

Well, definitely the advancement in technology touches every segment of the society and there are some locks made these days which pose a great challenge to lock bumpers, i think its a complex hide and seek between the lockmakers and in turn their bumpers, at some point we see one winning and the other loosing 

#15 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

Well, definitely the advancement in technology touches every segment of the society and there are some locks made these days which pose a great challenge to lock bumpers, i think its a complex hide and seek between the lockmakers and in turn their bumpers, at some point we see one winning and the other loosing 

Well that is how technology is being innovated...there will always be a room for improvement because every technology has a glitch in it that can be used in order to be bypassed...it's like, we need to improve the technology because there will always be something that makes it less reliable...as what you have said, it's a hide and seek.. :)

#16 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:18 AM

Well that is how technology is being innovated...there will always be a room for improvement because every technology has a glitch in it that can be used in order to be bypassed...it's like, we need to improve the technology because there will always be something that makes it less reliable...as what you have said, it's a hide and seek.. smile.png

Well that room of improvement is the thing that excites lock bumpers and i think it's less about innovation and more about human nature, one step and the other, as you have said reliability is a thing that is greatly questionable in our society.

#17 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:39 AM

Well that room of improvement is the thing that excites lock bumpers and i think it's less about innovation and more about human nature, one step and the other, as you have said reliability is a thing that is greatly questionable in our society.

I agree.. It's the curiosity and the challenge of it. There will always be changes and improvement. It will no longer be challenging for the the bumpers if anybody are able to open a certain lock. People will always find ways :-)

#18 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

I agree.. It's the curiosity and the challenge of it. There will always be changes and improvement. It will no longer be challenging for the the bumpers if anybody are able to open a certain lock. People will always find ways :-)

Exactly, same follows in every segments of our life

• TanVanMan likes this

#19 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:34 AM

Or some people trying to find a new challenging hobby like key bumping. True challenge is trying to become a leader of particle field like this which is why most of us are in this forum wink.png

#20 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

Or some people trying to find a new challenging hobby like key bumping. True challenge is trying to become a leader of particle field like this which is why most of us are in this forum wink.png

you are right, its more than a hobby i suppose, as you are saying if someone get master in this skill then for him a door lock is just a minor inconvenience, he would just bump it, but yes besides learning this skill and talking about it the people here are very committed to not to use this skill for unfair means :)