• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamiejrg

jamiejrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:59 PM

Now that i have your attention. I was wondering if anyone ever lubes up a lock before they bump it. The dead bolt on my front door is really dirty and I can't bump it yet. However I have a deadbolt that i practice picking on and it's nice and clean and lubed. I can bump that no problem so far.

So anyone lube and bump?

Jamie

#2 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

Mounted locks are always much more difficult to pick or bump. In fact, its a good idea to start mounting all of the locks you bump in a vise or something similiar, so you can practice on a lock in a `realistic' manner.

Of course padlocks are a different matter, so holding them `is' the realistic manner in which to pick or bump them...though you will come across locks that are in inconvenient positions.

My recommendation to a beginner would be to never hold the lock that you are bumping or picking...it creates a false sense of `success', because when you try to bump a lock in the real world you can't do it...deadbolts can't be held like you see them on Youtube, they are mounted in doors, and the door actually absorbes some of the hammer's force...also the lock can `wobble' which makes the distribution of the force less `clean'.

In summary, being able to bump a lock in your hand doesn't mean you can bump a lock in the `real' world. :smoker:
Bump on!!!!

#3 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

....regarding lubing a lock, don't do it!!!

Use graphite and nothing else...oils attract dirt and WD-40 will strip the lock of all its lubrication (its a solvent).

If the lock is really dirty...take it apart and manually clean it.
Bump on!!!!

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

In general, don't lubricate a lock unless it's absolutely necessary. A dirty, corroded lock will benefit from lubrication in that the top pins will more easily slip out of the plug into the shell. However, lubricating a lock that is not dirty and just difficult to bump may not make it easier.

If you must lubricate, only use a dry lubricant, i.e. graphite powder. Petrol based lubricants tend to collect dirt, grease, grime, etc. and concentrate it as it slowly evaporates. Thus, never use a wet lubricant unless you're completely taking a lock apart and wiping down everything before you reassemble.

#5 jamiejrg

jamiejrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hmm very interesting guys. Thanks for your input.

#6 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

....regarding lubing a lock, don't do it!!!

Use graphite and nothing else...oils attract dirt and WD-40 will strip the lock of all its lubrication (its a solvent).

If the lock is really dirty...take it apart and manually clean it.

thats true, anything else using graphite is not suitable for locks. Oil and any type of lubrication make the lock more dirty and hard to work on.
Sandy