• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brad11

Brad11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

I have been looking for BEST bump keys online to buy but all i can find are BE2 keys using the A keyway. I was wondering if I were to take the BE2 bump key into the hardware store could i have them copy it onto other types of BEST keywas and if the measurements were the same for all of the different types of keyways. More specifically would it work to transfer it onto a M keyway. Thanks for the help.

#2 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

BEST locks have two shear lines and they can not be bumped as you need to line up pins on one shear line or the other, but not a mix of both to get it to turn. Since bumping will cause pins to randomly set on both shear lines, it won't work.

You'll simply end up damaging the tip stop on back of the core.

Go buy an Atlas or Brinks KW1 keyway lock from a dept store. I think you can get one as little as $12. These are great lock to practice bumping on.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

Agreed with WOT. Although technically possible, it's not something I'd ever want to attempt, simply because a.) the possibility of damaging the lock beyond repair is far greater than your chance of opening the lock and b.) BEST locks are rarely, if ever, employed in a private residence. They're much more common in dorms, hospitals, offices, etc. where you don't own the lock and destroying it will be a crime and/or major headache.

That being said, the spacing and depth does transfer from keyway to keyway, assuming the length is the same... BESTs come in 5, 6 and 7 pin varieties.

#4 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Agreed with WOT. Although technically possible, it's not something I'd ever want to attempt, simply because a.) the possibility of damaging the lock beyond repair is far greater than your chance of opening the lock and b.) BEST locks are rarely, if ever, employed in a private residence. They're much more common in dorms, hospitals, offices, etc. where you don't own the lock and destroying it will be a crime and/or major headache.

That being said, the spacing and depth does transfer from keyway to keyway, assuming the length is the same... BESTs come in 5, 6 and 7 pin varieties.

I think Best Access Systems exist to frustrate locksmiths. They make sure none of the OEM supplies are available to anyone other than the lock owners.

Their key blanks are (intentionally?) difficult to set in ordinary key machines and the tip notch makes it time consuming and difficult to align spacing. Both of these makes it hard to cut accurately and at the same time, damn BEST keys demand probably the highest accuracy of all standard keys(makes for increased chance of miscuts).

The only way any 'ol idiot can cut a BEST key is having their own key machine, which they call "combinator". So, for maintenance personnel of the master key system owner, it's incredibly easy using that proprietary machine that BEST will not sell to ANYONE ELSE.

The blanks cost 5-6 times more than KW1 & SC1 wholesale. (makes for increased cost of miscuts)

Yes, so if I was a retail locksmith, I'd turn you away "because it says duplication prohibited" rather than "well these keys are hard to cut, so no" cuz the latter would make me look crummy :smile: