• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary

Zachary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

I got some bump keys and I filed down the shoulder and tip as specified here yet they won't work. I tried them on some locks on a small door I have and recorded it.

The first one, Kwikset Bel-Air knob
http://www.txlights....KwiksetBump.avi
The key I used:
Posted Image

The second one, Schlage Deadbolt
http://www.txlights....SchlageBump.avi
The key I used:
Posted Image

Any insight would be appreciated
(Sorry for the blurriness of the pics, they were taken through plastic as to not scratch my scanner's glass)

Edited by Admin

#2 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

Well, from first glance, I see a few problems...

First, the cuts on both keys seem to be uneven and poorly done. Secondly, on for Schlage key, your filing is somewhat questionable. Third, your kwikset key seems to be cut too low for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th pins. On the 5th, the cut looks too wide. On the first, the cut is really poorly done.

There's more, but I'll leave you with those for now... My suggestion is to do one of two things. You could get your keys from a better source(i.e. bumpkey.us), or you could go ahead and attempt to fix the cuts(on the Kwikset, I think it's almost impossible to repair, the Schlage looks like it could be done, if you're careful).

#3 Zachary

Zachary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

After your commentary I bought some from Bump Keys.us
the place I bought those seemed questionable once I looked at it again....no contact info, bad photographs...as for the schlage filing, I used a triangular file first, before I read the thread here.

#4 Bad Iron

Bad Iron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

First I wouldn't use a hammer to bump with. I did that and broke the key off in the lock :cry: Put your thumb on the key and apply light pressure, just enough to turn the key.

I made a key and it looks worst than yours and it worked. I used a hard plastic handle to hit the key and just tapped it. It doesn't take much force to bump the lock.

There are plenty of video's on this forum to show you the proper way to bump.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice :wink:

I found that not all Kwikset locks will unlock with KW1 keys, and I have yet to open a Schlage lock. There are more pins in some than others.

#5 Zachary

Zachary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

I tried a variety of different things to hit the key with, including a plastic screwdriver handle....same result. I know the schlage has 5 pins because I have the original key to it, as I do the kwikset and titan you see on the door as well. I'm fairly sure I was screwed with the keys I bought, I'm sure I'll have better results with the bumpkey.us ones.

#6 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:42 AM

May be you are using extra force than needed. Yes of course you can try with the keys from bumpkeys.us and may be it will yield better results. More practice more learning
Sandy