Photo
- - - - -

What key do I need to buy to open a filing cabinet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NewToIt

NewToIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:51 PM

Hello,

I have lost a small key that opens my filing cabinet. What key do I need to purchase to open a filing cabinet? It was a small type of a key like the kind you use for a P.O. Box or file drawer at work. Please help!

#2 NewToIt

NewToIt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

I've read that plunger lock cylinder for a gang lock is used in filing cabinets, but what key number should I get fom the bumplock.us ?? Thanks. :confused:

#3 angryhadj

angryhadj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Filing cabinets are usually easy to pick with some standard picking tools.

#4 vicvelcro

vicvelcro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

Unless your particular lock is pinned, you aren't likely to be bumping it. Picking it should be a breeze. Show us a photo of the keyway and as much of the assembly as possible.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or
take any action in reliance on it.

All warnings about tools, batteries, and electricity apply. If you want to get hurt you'll find a way.

The 'powers that be' rely on 99% of us knowing nothing, and the last 1% being too scared to talk about it.

DO NOT: Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate this electronic communication.

#5 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

What the heck is Bumplock.us?

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

BumpKey.US is the only official store site for our company

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#7 Synthead

Synthead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

I made a great set of picking tools with a hacksaw blade, heatshrink, a dremel w/ grinding wheel attachments, and a full grinding wheel. Do a Google search on lock pick tools and try to make some based from what you see. The trick is to grind very slowly when you're almost finished so you don't weaken the metal with heat. It's best to get some hacksaw blades with paint on them so you can see the paint melting and flaking when it is getting too hot.

Look around on YouTube too, there's many lock picking videos on there. Also, try to get "The Visual Guide to Lock Picking". It's a great 50-minute long instructional video on how to pick all sorts of locks, including ones with security pins.

I've done what I said above and I'm already picking all kinds of locks. In some cases, it can be just as easy to pick it, especially with wafer locks and low-security padlocks. Speaking of, you probably have a wafer lock on your cabinet.

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:16 PM

The chances of a cabinet/desk lock being pinned is very slim... the vast majority of these locks are wafer locks, and can not be bumped by definition. Case closed!