• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 qwe123

qwe123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

Did I make the bump key correctly? If not how can i fix it? Cuz its not opening any of the locks.

http://i236.photobuc...XP/PIC_0317.jpg

http://i236.photobuc...XP/PIC_0319.jpg

#2 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

Whoa....calm down. What kind of key is this? It looks like 7 pins.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

I'll second what skip 2 my lou has asked - what type of key is this?

Second, take a look at our pictures on www.bumpkey.us and you'll get a pretty good idea as to how the peaks \ valleys should look. Yours look like they were really beat up. After you've taken a look at the keys on our main site, you'll notice that with our keys the peaks and valleys are uniform. Having uniform peaks \ valleys not only make the key look better but can help with the success rate of bumping by ensuring that each peak hits the pin at the same time (if this makes sense).

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 snooKa

snooKa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

Fully agree with SlickJ that key does indeed looked tampered with in a bad way you should check out videos on YouTube.Com by typing in Bump Key and in some videos they'll show how they created there keys are other specifications that will help you out greatly.

#5 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

Great pics though, I meant to mention that earlier. I have hell takin' pics of keys.:frown:
Bump first and ask questions later.

#6 vicvelcro

vicvelcro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:43 AM

Okay,

Other than having the surfaces be a bit mangled and chewed plus the inconsistent width and depth of your valleys, you might consider the following:

Referring to the teeth by number, as I have numbered them in the image:
1: This is likely quite a bit too tall, considering the height of most of your other teeth. Also, note the steepness of the right hand downward slope. You might have trouble removing this key from the lock if you manage to tap it in too far. Make that slope more gradual.

2: Looks good.

3: Might be just a tiny bit low. Other than that, looks good.

4: Height is probably good. The slope facing left has a bit of a burr or catch on it. Smooth that out, but don't take too much off the entire surface.

5: The right slope is chewed, so you might have trouble removing the key from the lock. The left slope is too steep. Might have trouble inserting it in the lock and also might affect how the pin jumps when you knock it.

6: Looks good. Might want to make the left slope smoother. I see what may be a burr near the bottom of the valley.

7: Possible too low. Other than that, angles look right and no major damage.

My guess (YMMV) is to remake the key. All valleys should be the width of the 1-2 valley, to start with. You can widen them gradually if need be. The valley depths should be the same as 1-2 to start, and can be made deeper if needed. Move peak 3 a fraction closer to pin 2 and then move 5 closer to 4. That would take care of the non-uniform spacing (probably).

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or
take any action in reliance on it.

All warnings about tools, batteries, and electricity apply. If you want to get hurt you'll find a way.

The 'powers that be' rely on 99% of us knowing nothing, and the last 1% being too scared to talk about it.

DO NOT: Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate this electronic communication.