• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 takingbumps

takingbumps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

OK, i had to reregister, forgot my old user name, been bumping to much.

I can bump a masterlock with ease. Now I am moving on to the other keys in my "set". First up a donated 5 pin quick set...

This post is to help all of you out who are having trouble. I did some testing with a lever and digial scale on my lock. It only required 12 grams to get the tumbler in motion. THIS IS ALL THE PRESSURE YOU NEED TO APPLY. I was getting mad cuz I could not do it at first and you guessed it I was putting to much pressure on the key before giving it a smack. Also it is human nature to increase pressure at the last milli second before the hammer hits, DON"T do this!

To put this into perspective, balance 3 nickles on your index finger:cool:, that is to much for my lock. It seems like nothing, it takes nothing to do it right. 3 nickles is 15 grams. All you need to do is rotate the tumbler counterclockwise give your finger a rest, then press on the key, the tumbler will start to turn about a 1/16" or less and stop. That is ALL the pressure (if you wanna call it that) that you need to get it bumped. 12 grams! That feels like nothing, it is hard to hold a load that light. Play with 2-3 nickles and feel how light they are on your finger. Remember you are not trying to turn the key! You just want to hold it in place when you give it a SHARP wack. The wack is just as important, vary how you hold you wacking tool.

Try holding your tool in just your index and thumb fingers. Whiggle it back and fourth in a slow jerking motion. Feel the centrifigal force of it piviting between your fingers. That is what you need for a good SOLID wack. Fluid motion is key.

Hope this helps, now I can bust it almost as much as the old Masters and other dirty keyholes I have been playing with. Each lock will vary but this is a good start for most.. I figured this out pretty quick. Oh, practice in a nice quiet room. You want to be able to hear how many pins you are setting each time you hit it. This will help you determin if your technique needs to be changed.

Keep on bumpn, I am going to hit me a little now. Have a good weekend all:smoker:!

#2 vicvelcro

vicvelcro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

Try holding your tool in just your index and thumb fingers. Whiggle it back and fourth in a slow jerking motion. Feel the centrifigal force of it piviting between your fingers. That is what you need for a good SOLID wack. Fluid motion is key.

Personally, I don't get full satisfaction with just my finger and thumb. I really need more contact for the tactile value. Wiggling and jerking is way shizznat for me. Just can't get enough. Then it's all over (boo hoo). Fluid motion is the biggest factor. Not too much grip.

I could say more...

If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or
take any action in reliance on it.

All warnings about tools, batteries, and electricity apply. If you want to get hurt you'll find a way.

The 'powers that be' rely on 99% of us knowing nothing, and the last 1% being too scared to talk about it.

DO NOT: Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate this electronic communication.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

We've never tried to measure how much force was needed, but the amount you just described sounds about right...

Everyone should take note that VERY LITTLE tension is required to bump the lock.

I'm sure your post will help some newb's out!! Keep the info coming!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 Synthead

Synthead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

This is great information! I was trying to bump some locks for the first time today but couldn't open any, I was putting too much tension on them! I'll try them again now that I know how little pressure I need to put on them, thanks :D