• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 evander1989

evander1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

I just recieved my new bump key the 11 set and tried testing them out on locks and none of them work, I tried appyling more pressure, less pressure, and various objects on it still no result. Applied the pull out method and regular bump method but I still couldn't open my own lock. I even downloaded the video on the site and did everything exactly as the guy did but it didn't work. I feel like I have been ripped off or not doing something right, someone please help.

#2 snooKa

snooKa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Thought the same thing this bumping thing is like an off and on switch you cant control well in my opinion because yesterday when i received my keys i couldent bump my defiant lock and now i can but then after i couldent just keep on trying make sure you take it out 1 notch till you see the first hill then try doing your methods from thier.

#3 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Once you get a lock to bump and understand how much impact and tension is needed to bump a lock, it comes second nature. Just keep at it.

#4 evander1989

evander1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

I tried and tried that didn't work either not only that i think i might have dented my 5 pin kwikset, its barely noticeable and doesnt seem dented at all only dent by 0.0000000001 inches and not only that it has these very thin plating near the valleys connecting them, and whenever i touched it it falls off is that important? can it still be used?, tried bringing it to a lock smith they didnt want to make another one for me, and will I have a better chance bumping if I use a bump hammer instead?

#5 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

You can't just in and expect to swim right away.........Simma down cuz. This time right here is as good as it gets.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#6 vicvelcro

vicvelcro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:51 AM

... i think i might have dented my 5 pin kwikset, its barely noticeable and doesnt seem dented at all only dent by 0.0000000001 inches ...

Probably not a big deal. I just ran one of my KW1s through a bit of deliberate abuse. Look here http://www.bumpkeyforum.com/showthread.php?p=9865#post9865 and see if yours is worse than the one in the middle.

... and not only that it has these very thin plating near the valleys connecting them, and whenever i touched it it falls off is that important? can it still be used?

Clean off the flaky plating. You don't want it meeting the internals of your lock. Other than that, no big deal. Replace the key later and practice with it in the mean-time.

... tried bringing it to a lock smith they didnt want to make another one for me ...

Be assertive. I've run into a small number of people reluctant to make copies for me. Usually I have no difficulty. Those few times that have come up, I just give them the 1000 yard look when I halfway make eye contact and tell them the key is non-standard but in fact operates one of my security devices. I need a copy. They need to make it. I need to go. Now. Thank You.

... and will I have a better chance bumping if I use a bump hammer instead?...

You have to develop your own technique. Most often, I use a plastic handled screwdriver (plastic end for striking). The bump hammers seem to hit much harder than necessary (my opinion). Most locks I've encountered need little torque and little impact to go over.

Put your finger beside your nose. Press enough to close your nostril halfway. That is how much torque I use. Now, close your eye and poke your eyelid with your index finger almost hard enough to see stars. That's about how HARD I hit. The thing I've found is that SPEED counts. Swing my screwdriver quickly but with very little strength. Except some locks do need more torque or pressure.

Kwiksets are the ones that require a softer kind of finesse.

Sometimes I think I can just lay my KW1 next to a deadbolt, cover my nose and sneeze, look over and expect to see the lock open itself. Seriously. Don't punish the lock. It's not doing anything wrong. It's doing what locks are supposed to do. Flirt with it and seduce it. Trick it out of its panties. Be Nice, is what I'm getting at.

Good Luck.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or
take any action in reliance on it.

All warnings about tools, batteries, and electricity apply. If you want to get hurt you'll find a way.

The 'powers that be' rely on 99% of us knowing nothing, and the last 1% being too scared to talk about it.

DO NOT: Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate this electronic communication.

#7 yasin 810

yasin 810

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

bumping takes practice and tecnique. Once you master your tecnique its pretty simple. I once couldnt bump any locks hardly but i could pick with ease. But after lots of practice i am about 17 for 20. One thing you have to understand about bumping and the locks you bump is that if the lock your practicing on or trying to open is a cheap or old lock they are much harder to open.I usually have lots of problems with those myself.But a nice free turning lock,bumps open with great ease,even schlages from my experiences. You can tell if a lock is going to open easily by how easy the key goes in the lock. If you push your key in and its kindve hard going in then more likely then not you are going to have a little trouble bumping it. If the keys slides right in smoothly then more likely then not it will usually open in no more then 5 bumps. Your tension on the key and the impact force and striking point greatly predict your outcome also. But if you understand the basic principles of picking then keep those in mind when bumping. Not that they are similar but the understanding of how the pins work.also keep in mind they make it look much more simple on t.v. then it is. Yeah its much simpler when a locks in your hand then when its actualy on a door.:brickwall:

#8 Stepmom

Stepmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I too just purchased my bump keys, watched the video along with many other videos on the internet and still cannot bump a lock. What am I doing wrong? I have tried to use a hammer, the back of a screwdriver, the heel on my shoe (all of these methods have been posted as working very well) and nothing works. Is there some type of trick that I am unaware of?
Please help!!

#9 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

Once you get a lock to bump and understand how much impact and tension is needed to bump a lock, it comes second nature. Just keep at it.

Yeah - I am agreed with you, understanding how much tension and impact while bumping a lock is a good going. You have to try and will be able to bump a lock soon.
Sandy