Photo
- - - - -

Why are bumpkey.us pins enlarged at the tip?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bump0bump

bump0bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:59 AM

The inter-pin triangular protrusions on a bumpkey are supposed to all be the same size. But the protrusion at the tip of the keys which bumpkey.us sells is taller than the rest. Why?
This isn't an issue of needing to be filed to make a minimal motion key. I just want to use the pullout method with an unmodified key. But I don't see the purpose of the extra-large tip.

#2 Kmo917

Kmo917

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:37 PM

lol, I too have noticed that. I've been wondering myself, although I think it helps with bumping, not sure why.

#3 yoyoboy

yoyoboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

I'm fairly sure that it simply has to do with the fact that there is not another cut on the other side of the 'hill'. If you continued the spacing and cut another cut past the tip of the key you would get all the same hight 'hills'. I'll try it out at school tomorrow.

#4 bump0bump

bump0bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

I'm fairly sure that it simply has to do with the fact that there is not another cut on the other side of the 'hill'. If you continued the spacing and cut another cut past the tip of the key you would get all the same hight 'hills'. I'll try it out at school tomorrow.

If you file the tip and shoulder to make a minimal movement key, then the large hill at the tip of the key wouldn't matter, since it would be out of the way beyond the last pin. But if you want to use the key with the pullout method, then the large hill is between the second to last pin and the last pin. Doesn't it make the key useless for the pullout method unless you file down the large hill to the same height as the rest of the hills?

Another way to ask this is, has anybody bought a bump key from bumpkey.us and successfully bumped open a lock using the pullout method without first filing the key?

#5 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:07 AM

They work. I have successfully bumped with unmodified bumpkey.us keys. The kwickset door handle lock (not padlock) is the easiest by far. I can get maybe 6 out of 10 bumps successful with it. However trying it on the defiant locks is a totally different story. very hard. the masterlock padlock (says number 1 on the bottom) is pretty easy with the M10 key. (im not sure if thats even the right key) I can get that one maybe 3 times per minute consistantly. Last is the schlage. Im not sure if its just bc i have the commercial padlock, and that i shouldve started with a residential or door lock, but the schlage commercial padlock with the sc1 key is much harder. I plan on getting an sc20 and trying it.

So yes, its possible without filing. Filing supposedly makes it MUCH easier tho. Ill be very happy when i finally get the filing done right...its pretty hard without pics to go by.

#6 yoyoboy

yoyoboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

Using an a SC20 won't make bumping any easier. The reason that you would use it is that it will fit into any Schlage keyway, so you don't have to carry around 11 different Schlage bumpkeys.

#7 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

When you cut to proper specifications from bow to tip, the front steeple just happens to be taller than the rest.

Schlage keys are cut referenced to the shoulder. 0+n+x+x+x+x+x n is the shoulder to first cut, then x is the spacing between each cuts and I don't exactly remember what that is off top of my head.