• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:02 AM

I recently moved into an apartment, and in the county I live in, a locksmith told me that about 2/3rds of all break-in's show NO SIGNS OF FORCED ENTRY (ie people are bumping their way in) and in fact, the apartment building I live in (17 units, most everyone is a young professional so most everyone has a lot of high-ticket items that make this place VERY ATTRACTIVE for burglar's) ... in fact, our building has been hit - twice - 2 apartments have had their apartments broke into from people using bump-keys (the county I live in has a bump-key story on the news almost weekly) ...

So I called the land-lord as I wanted to get permission to have a Medeco M3 lock installed - sadly I was turned down as they said if I installed one, other would, and it would be to chaotic as then everyone that installed a deadbolt would have to give a copy of the key to the live-in maintainance man, it would violate fire-code, it would mess with the master-key system, etc...

Basically the boor handles have the basic SC-1 cheap contractor locks that are SO EASY to bump ... so here is what I am asking 0- could I use the same handle, but install a Schlage primus lock ... of course I wouldn't tell management I did this and I don't think it would be possible to tell just by looking .... so, should I just go one eBay and over a primus plug and swap it out, or is that not possible ... I can't find a picture of what it looked like, I mean, is the the "8" type plug (where you have the plug and another plug right next to it, or it is a single "0" plug - the type I have) .. it is hard to explain but right now I simply have a handle (the "L" type handle, not the door-knob type) ... it simply has the single round plug you insert the key into ..

Here is an image I found:

http://www.armstrong...primus_glam.gif

Now I simply want to know if I can simply swap out the cheap SC1 contractor plug out with the primus plug (as pictures in the link above) - or do I need to actually use the entire cylinder?

//p

#2 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

Nevermind, got my answer, it is do-able....

Now my other question - what is the difference between the schlage Primus and the schlage Everest locks?

//p

#3 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

Primus uses finger pins for it's side bar, while the Everest uses a side bar with no finger pins.

#4 braines9

braines9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:44 PM

try piclbuster, you don't need new keys or locks, just type:
Pickbuster
and search on google.

#5 snooKa

snooKa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

madeco. .
Official BumpKey Supporter

#6 bumplock

bumplock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:21 PM

Primus is not backward compatible with Schlage C keyway locks. Another words you can use Primus and their master key will not work as it is not a Primus key. But it is a good lock. Now as to the other point… I believe that they can NOT stop you from having better security IF you give them a key. But you would need to check with someone in your area that knows tenet law. Abloy, Schlage Primus, ASSA V-10, and Medeco all have some good locks. I prefer the Schlage B860 as it has some nice features at a good price. But all the locks I have mentioned are good.

http://professional....c_hdcp_baux.asp

Something to suggest to the landlord is that each tenant can pay for the better lock on a new system and that way they still only need one master but the keys are then controlled. But the upgrade is on your dime and not his. It would cost him the cost of the keys for the masters and you the locks and keys for your door(s).

Edited by bumplock, 18 August 2008 - 08:25 PM.