• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:03 AM

What I mean is that, for instance, you can make an SC-20 bump key buy ordering an SC-4 bump key and having someone use an SC-20 blank, thenuse the SC-4 key as the master guide to cut the SC-20 blank ... I was wondering what other keys this can be done with ... I ask as I know there are hundreds of keys out there and it just isn't possible to offer each of them, but what keys that are offered on this site (or others) that can be used as the "master keys" you can use as a guide to make a working bump-key on some other key blank?

Does that make any sense?

Now I have a decent collection:

Y1, SC1, SC4, SC19, SC20, M1, M10, M11, KW1, KW10, AR1, AR4, NA12, DE6, WR5, IN3, WK2, SE1, IN33, RUS5, WEISER, 1A1A1, NA6, NTL10, ARR SD, BE2, S6, S31

But yea, I usually only use the SC1, SC20, Y1, WR5, and a few others - but still, I am the obsessive personality type that wants to have as many keys as possible as you never know what you will come across ...

So, for instance, I know that Schlage makes a number of various keys - is the spacing the same so that I could use the SC1, SC4, SC20, (whatever) key I have ordered here to make a full set of ALL the Schlage keys my local hardware store has?

I hope I am being clear with question ...

Thanks for any replies!

//p

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

It is possible to fabricate any uncommon key of the same brand as one that is offered commercially if and only if the spacing and depth is the same between them. This is not always the case. It is possible, for example, to make an SC10 out of a common Schlage bump key. Making an SC20 from an SC4 is theoretically possible, however, given the difference it width of the key, since the SC20 is so thin, it tends to slant downward and the cuts on the key will also be slanted. If cut carefully it can be successful, it is, however, more difficult.

Many Master brand keys have completely different spacing and depth combinations on a keyway to keyway basis, and many of these may not simply be copied for another Master brand key.

#3 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I recommend using a Framon #2 cutter.