• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stargeezer

Stargeezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi Folks! I'm a new bumper here. Does anyone have any info on the quality of HY-KO key blanks? I went down to my local ACE Hardware man to have a couple of my newly acquired keys from Bumpkey.us (they're great, by the way) duplicated. There were no questions asked and no answers volunteered on my part ;-). I also purchased a couple of SC20 blanks to fiddle with. These blanks were HY-KO brand. That was all they had in the SC20. Most on these forums recommend ILCO blanks. Any help or opinions are appreciated.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

ACE generally stocks ILCO keys. However, for automotive blanks and/or less used blanks, they do stock the HY-KO blanks. They're much better than Axxess brand, but not quite the same as ILCO. If you can find the ILCO SC-20s, grab them. Otherwise, the HY-KO should work just fine for you. They're not bad keys, they're just not ILCO. ;)

#3 Stargeezer

Stargeezer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for responding quickly! I was somewhat concerned when the blank was stamped Taiwan on the bow. Taking your advice, I'll be on the lookout for ILCO SC20 blanks. Thanks again.

#4 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

Don't start with an SC20. Get a Schlage lockset that takes SC1 or SC5, then copy it over to an SC1/5 blank. The SC1/5 is much sturdier

#5 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

Posted Image

This is by far the most durable SC20 blank you can get, Genuine Schlage L stainless steel.

If/when I get around to making one, I'll probably spray paint it using a regular #9 key as a template, then do the bulk with a Dremel and fine tune with a file. There's no way I'm going to do the entire thing by file.