• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

after a whole lot of reading and research I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and try my hand at making some keys. I know that these aren't what they need to be so if I could get a few pointers on what to do better or, if possible, how to clean these up so they'll work I would appreciate it :biggrin:
oh and if the pictures are too fuzzy I can dig up a non-cell phone camera to use

Attached Files

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

The M1 looks a tad bit too deep, and should only have five cuts.

The SC1 is also on the deep side, but not so much that it wouldn't work. Widen the gaps, or else there will not be enough room for the pins to rest.

The KW1 looks pretty good.

On ALL keys, check your spacing, using a change key for reference. Line up the center of each cut on the change key with the center of each cut on your bump key. They should line up perfectly, and the cuts should be just as wide on your key as they are on the change key.

Best of luck, and certainly one of the better first attempts I've seen.

#3 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

thanks i appreciate the advice. On the M1 I think that I won't try cutting keys at 3 in the morning again lol
now I'm off to find a good hammer and spend hours practicing, thanks for the feedback!

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

I have a whole pile of keys that are a result of 3 AM cutting/filing. I wish there was a FUBAR key blank recycling center in my neighborhood...

Best of luck to you!