Jump to content

- - - - -

Keys for which locks?

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jerzeycg


    Junior Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

I bought and just received my 18 key set, I can only manage to open the Master locks with the master lock key. Are the other sets of keys for a specific kind of locks? If so, what kind?

#2 theopratr


    The Wise One

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

The remaining keys in your set will work in essentially whatever they fit into. Master Lock brand locks commonly use the M1 key, but other brands of locks also use M1 keyways.

The KW1 is associated with the Kwikset brand, although there are dozens of other manufacturers who also use the KW1 keyway, i.e. "Defender", "Faultless"... even Yale makes some cheaper locks that utilize the KW1 instead of their own Y1.

So in your 18 key set, you have a couple padlock keys for most Master brand locks and Master clones, as well as a full series of keys for Schlage and two for Kwikset, which are the two most common residential lock manufacturers, and these keys will also work on non-name brand locks that use these keyways. The remainder of your keys will work on locks that are in wide circulation, but are a bit less commonly encountered... mostly due to the wide commercial availability of the Schlage and Kwikset locks, and also because of the higher cost of other brands. (Yale, Arrow, BEST, etc. are all generally more expensive than either Schlage and Kwikset, and are usually only available through a locksmith.)