I have been looking......

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

I have been looking on here at pitcures of bump keys. and I have a couple of questions. I tryed to make a bump key yesterday and it didn't work. A couple of pins went into place but all of them didnt. I think my valleys are too steep. the only thing I have is a triangle file. How would I go about making the valleys less steep without ruining the key and going too deep. and also how low can the peaks be and still work?

Thanks in advance.... 007

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

http://www.bumpkey.us/ Look here at the pics of different keys. It doesn't take much of a peak to make it work. Also, the valleys cannot be too deep unless the depth compromises the integrity of the key's structure. Post pics of what you have made and let us have a look.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

I would have posted pictures but I dont have nothing to get it on the computer with.(didigtal camera, scanner/printer,etc.) I tried to make the peaks more uniform and I also tried to make them less steep, but it still didn't work. course it is an old door knob that I tried it on that we had took off. It had been on the the door for about 5-7 years.(estimation, lots of use) I have a masterlock key that works as a bump key in 2 cheap locks. I cant try it on the masterlock because it goes to it, but the question I have for that is will the cheap locks be easier to bump than more expensive locks. The weird thing about that is I didn't even file none on that key and it bumped 2 cheap locks. Could it be that they are just cheap and more easy to bump?

Thanks, 007

#4 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

If the lock is of high quality then it will be easier to bump simply becuase the pins move a lot easier then an old dirty lock.

of course this doesn't apply to all high quality locks such as Medeco or Primus locks