Photo
- - - - -

Are Bump Keys ready to use whhen purchased.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bowman

bowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

I just received the 18 key set of bump keys from BumKeys.us and my question is, are the ready to start bumping with when you get them or do you have to fool around filing them here and there to have any success with them.

I have Kwickset locks in my house and can pick every one of them including one Master bolt on the front door but I can't bump any of them. I have tried very light to medium to hard pressure on all of them but no luck. The same with striking them. Soft medium and hard and mixed that up with my pressure. No luck so I am wondering if I have to do something with the keys. They are all 5 pin locks and I am using the KW 1 bump key so they sould work.

I have read all I can absorb on this forum and the internet and have a good understanding on how locks work.

I can't believe crooks spend as much time as I have to learn to bump these locks. Heck, they can kick the door down faster with just about the same amount of noise. I just don't feel like kicking my doors down.

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

Your frustration is a perfect advertisement against the bumping craze... even with bump keys in hand, no bona fide criminal is going to have the idiotic dedication to actually try to use bump keys in the commission of a crime, because it takes too much practice and too much time.

Your bump keys are ready to use out of the package using the pull out method, which I personally prefer. Minimal movement should be left to the pros. If you're just starting out, it's better to master the pull out method using a "known good" key, thus eliminating the variable of having an f*(&ed up key.

That being said, use light tension; almost less than you would use if you were utilizing the change key. Also, instead of just hitting the key, give it some wrist - the proverbial key to your success is the speed at which your hammer hits the key, not the force with which it hits. Thus, use a longish hammer... long enough such that the lever end is moving with some speed, but short enough such that you can control it.