Is my method all wrong?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

waiting for my 5 key set from bumpkey.us, I was able to get a locksmith to make me a 999 key. I have filed down the top and bottom shoulder, aswell as the tip. It is an SC1 key, and when trying to use it on a lock, I cant get it to click. It is a Schlange lock, and it fits fine, but I will bump it, and try and twist it, but nothing happens.

I have lockpicked before, but this bumpkey is tough for me. How much tension do I apply, how hard do I hit it?

Please someone tell me the exact steps to lock bumping. I have taken a picture of my key for you, incase my shoulders are filed too far, thanks!

cancel that, no picture.

Anyway, someone please help me

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

Kristic,

The part about the picture (or lack there of) made me chuckle.

Tension.. that's the trickiest part of bumping. Once you've got that down... everything else is golden.

When you say "I cant get it to click" I don't know exactly what you are referring to.

Here's the step though: insert the MODIFIED key all the way into the lock. pull it out until you hear a click. This 'click' is the sound of the pins falling down. This is where the tension comes in. Put tension on the lock (this is just trial and error) and bump it! I've found its (some times) easier to use a handle of a screw driver \ wrench (plastic handle) than... say.... a piece of wood.

Just give it some try - once you get it you'll have it forever. I guess it's like riding a bike.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

ok, well, I ended up bending my key that I bought, so I may just have to wait for the set of 5 to come. I dont know how hard I need to be hitting it, I mean, the top of my key is a little beat up, but I am certianly not making dimples on the lock.

#4 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

when i started, i was hitting quite hard. Now that i have practiced a bit, i have found that sometimes i can get the lock to open with a very small bump. It is all about getting the hang/feel of it. (and i would recommend copying your keys and using the copys. that way, when damaged, you can just go make a new copy and you always have a template for a new one)

#5 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

Good advice, I'll definately do that when I get my 5 set.

I dont know, I think I may have shaved too much off the shoulders and the tip. Would that effect how well it would open?

#6 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

yes. I would look at the key and try to see where the pins were hitting (mine has little black marks) if they are high on the peak of the cuts, or not visible, it was probably filed too much.

#7 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

there are black marks all over the thing, so I dont know what that means....I may be able to find my camera thing, and take a picture

#8 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

are you only pulling the key out so that the shoulder is approx .5 mm away from the lock (the amount you filed) or are you pulling it out a full pin. Because i have found that pulling it out a full pin doesnt work well at all.

#9 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

mostly tried putting it in all the way, and the hitting it in the additional filled ammount...

Do I twist it after I hit it, or keep the applied pressure as I hit it>?

#10 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

little of both i think. a slight pressure will ensure that the key grabs the pins when the jump up, then a larger twist will turn the key.

(all my opinion, feel free to correct if anybody disagrees)

#11 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

ok, so I never release tension?

#12 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

i dont, but like someone else posted, it is feather light tension until the pins catch. to be able to tell when they do (i think) is just a matter of practice.

#13 Kristic

Kristic

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

ok, well, like I said, my key has been bent, so I may just have to wait until my 5 keys arrive. Thanks for the advice though, it seemed to help/

Also, when you twist the key, do you twist it when the key plus the half millimeter space is inserted in the keyhole, or do you wait until it pops out again

#14 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

for me....i cant really tell. you should hold the key lightly enough so that it will just naturally go where it needs to.

#15 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

The best thing to do is to hold the key with just light tension. DO NOT try to 'turn' the key too much, because there's a great chance you could bend the key, or possibly even break it off inside the lock. The best advice I could give is to look at the key as if it were thin plastic...you wouldn't want put a lot of pressure on a plastic key, would you?

The 'twist' is totally natural, you don't need to add any extra tension. It's plenty of pressure already.

#16 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:39 AM

The best thing to do is to hold the key with just light tension. DO NOT try to 'turn' the key too much, because there's a great chance you could bend the key, or possibly even break it off inside the lock. The best advice I could give is to look at the key as if it were thin plastic...you wouldn't want put a lot of pressure on a plastic key, would you?

The 'twist' is totally natural, you don't need to add any extra tension. It's plenty of pressure already.

This method I always use by holding the key with light tension. Sometime using heavy force will bend or break the key as what you said.