• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogxx831

bulldogxx831

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

Also new at this and I do not know which key to use for which lock. I know the lock will normally say something as to which brand but how do I know past that. For example I have an old gym bag with a master lock on it. How do I know whether or not to use the M-11, M-10, or the M-1.

#2 bulldogxx831

bulldogxx831

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

Schlage SC1 Key - 5 Pin, M-1 Padlock Key 4 Pin, SPECIAL- Schlage SC20, KW1 House Key - 5 Pin, Master M11 Bump Key

This is my current line up. Would I need both the Schlage SC20 and the SC1 or could I get rid of the SC1?

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

In reference to your first question, you need the specific model of Masterlock to be sure. The most common ones use the M1, but it could also be one of more than a dozen other Master brand keys.

If the lock is on a gym bag, I would imagine it's a small lock. Some of the smaller Master brand locks do not take an M1, but instead an M2 or M3, which are tiny keys and rather awkward to use for bumping.

So, once again... only a specific model number, or picture of the keyway, could really help identify which key you actually need.

As for your second post, you could eliminate the SC1, but it comes at a price. Although the SC20 will, in theory, bump any Schlage lock, it is more difficult to use the skeleton keys. Thus, I always recommend getting the generic key and mastering the use of that one before you move on to keys that require more advanced experience to be utilized properly.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

Also new at this and I do not know which key to use for which lock. I know the lock will normally say something as to which brand but how do I know past that. For example I have an old gym bag with a master lock on it. How do I know whether or not to use the M-11, M-10, or the M-1.

http://www.kaba-ilco..._Cylinder_2.pdf

Look at pages 41-43 to help you decide which Master key to use.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 DavidMcC

DavidMcC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

Refrence" get a pair of bolt cutters" :-)

#6 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

Maybe there are different skill levels that can be mastered regarding the use of bolt cutters......nah.
Bump first and ask questions later.