• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nalloy

nalloy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

What's the difference in between the regular Schlage keys and their skeleton key counterparts? I understand that the "skeleton keys" work on a wider variety of locks, but what about them is different that allows that to be possible? 5 pin SC1 vs. 5 pin SC19? 6 pin SC4 vs. 6 pin SC20? Thanks!

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:33 AM

The SC19 and SC20 are thinner and have wider millings. That way they can fit into more key ways.

Look at the key ways on page 63 in the link below. SC19 and SC20 will fit into all the key ways above them in this diagram and then some.

http://www.kaba-ilco..._Cylinder_2.pdf
Bump it to the next level.

#3 nalloy

nalloy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

Okay, thanks! I know it's somewhat harder to use the bump key versions of SC19-20. Is it also harder to open a lock when it's actually tooled for that lock? Seems like you might have to jiggle.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

If you were to copy a Schlage key onto the appropriate skeleton blank, you wouldn't experience much in terms of difficulty in the operation of the key, as the tolerances are wide enough as to allow for the very slight variation in depth due to the wobble of the blank. I have my original SC-1 house key cut onto a "Do Not Duplicate" neuter bow nickel-silver SC-19 blank, and it works without any problem. (No good reason to have my key on such a blank, I just happened to have a few of the high quality blanks kicking around.)

#5 Rene

Rene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

The SC20 is a 6 pin but you say it's like a skeleton key so i was wondering does that mean it works with 5 pin locks too?

#6 nalloy

nalloy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

^^ I believe there are two separate skeleton keys. I think SC19 is the five pin.

#7 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

The SC20 is a 6 pin but you say it's like a skeleton key so i was wondering does that mean it works with 5 pin locks too?

While the SC 20 will indeed work with a 5 pin lock it is a more 'advanced' technique as it would require the user to pull the key out two 'clicks' versus one.

^^ I believe there are two separate skeleton keys. I think SC19 is the five pin.

You are correct; the Schlage SC20 is a 6 pin and the Schlage SC19 is a 5 pin.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.