4 replies to this topic

#1 bryjorrin

bryjorrin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

http://www.pickbuster.co.uk/

Does anyone know how good this product is? I'm quite curious. It seems as though that company just jumped on the "Bump keys are the spawn of satan!" bandwagon of mid-2006, and made a product hoping to cash in on the hype. But I'm just wondering if they are really bump-proof, or if it just makes bumping harder.

To me, it just looks like some kinda gel, but I would have to see it in order to say.

Anyone have any experience with it? Does it work? What is the texture like? What's it made of?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

I searched for the answer to your question, and short of dialing the UK patent office, I can't find specifics as to what pickbuster contains.

I will say, however, that it only appears to work on locks that are mounted upside down, as is more common in the UK and mainland Europe. I would imagine that, since they say that it's oil based and lubricates the lock, that it is a heavy hydrocarbon mixture (thicker than fuel oil, but much less thick than tar... maybe ~50 carbon chain?) that would marginally increase the difficulty of bumping by slowing down the top pins. A sharper tap would solve that problem. Spraying another petrol-based lubricant into the lock would probably dissolve away the pickbuster to the point that the lock was easily bumpable again.

Also, the presence of a heavy petrol-based lubricant below the top pins (in a lock mounted upside down) would probably making picking a bit easier than normal.

By watching the video, you see that they have no real explanation to how it works, just a bunch of hype to scare people and then irrelevant commentary at the end.

#3 pickbuster

pickbuster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:10 AM

Hi

Pickbuster is a synthetic lubricant. It's quite thick. It feels soapy to the touch. It is used in the airline industry as a hydraulic fluid, and in the food industry as a lubricant. It is not petrol base. It is non staining and non irritant.

As for how Pickbuster works, the physics of it are quite simple to understand. Lock bumping is effective because of a principle known as the law of impacts between bodies - it's the principle behind the Newtons cradle toy. The impact force on the bump key is transferred through the driver pins into the key pins, causing the pins to separate and allow the lock to open.

When Pickbuster is applied to the lock, the impact is transferred via the driver pins and the key pins into the fluid. It is the fluid that absorbs the force from the bump key, thus the pins do not separate.

Pickbuster works in Euro cylinders, where the pins are below the level of the cylinder, and also in rim locks where the pins are above the cylinder. To install it in a rim lock it is necessary to remove the rim lock and invert the lock to allow the fluid to flow into the chambers.

It is not trivial to drive Pickbuster out from a lock in situ.

Pickbuster has been tested by the Institute of Chartered Locksmiths, and UAP Ltd have just had a pretreated cylinder lock tested to the new BS3621:2007 standard by the Master Locksmiths Association.

Hope this helps
Ron Heywood

For UAP Ltd

#4 pickbuster

pickbuster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

Oh, sorry for dragging up an old post with my last reply.

I just got a Google News alert on this this morning, I hadn't realised it was from July until after I hit submit.

Ron

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

Thought I'd go ahead and bump this Pick Buster thread....

We've been trying to get in contact with someone from the Pick Buster group for the past couple of weeks and have not heard anything. It's possible our e-mail has been flagged as SPAM on their end at Universal Imports.

Hopefully someone from their team will see this updated thread.

Edit: The problem was OUR SPAM FILTERS. E-mail communication has been restored.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of BumpKey.US