5 replies to this topic

#1 thecoolkid1001

thecoolkid1001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:55 AM

I am a beginner with no previous experience with bump keys
I was looking at all of the bump keys available and didn't know which one I want.

So my question is Which key do I want (I don't know what locks or brands of locks I will try and open)

also, Is there one key that can open almost any lock (I don't want to carry around multiply keys and then spend time trying and figure out which key to use.)

How easy is it to destroy a lock while bumping it?

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to the board!!

Most of your questions can be answered with the 'Search' feature. Once registered (like you are) the search feature is MUCH easier to use as there is no CAPTCHA.

But to answer your question in a few line response here are the most popular keys this year (in order of sales):

Schlage SC20
Kwikset KW1
Master M10
Master M1

The reason the 'SC20' is first is because it doesn't belong to any packages, thus people will add it to their cart w/ the package. I would have thought that the M1 would be more popular than the M10... can't explain that one ;)

But if you're simply looking for a few keys I would say the Schlage SC20, Master M1, Kwikset KW1 should cover a wide array of locks.

How easy is it to destroy a lock while bumping it?

It's not terribly 'easy' to do... but it CAN happen. Breaking a key or destroying the lock is the reason we suggest to not practice on a lock that's in use!!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

Each key is associated with a specific keyway, and several keyways usually constitute a brand. Thus, if you don't know what you're going to open, there is no one key that's going to do it for you.

Also, there is no key which covers everything... or even most things. There are several keys which are more common than some others, but you can't really exclude everything which is not painfully common, because that makes up almost half of the locks out there.

Thus, carrying multiple keys is necessary, and with the smallest amount of applied gray matter you should be able to identify the correct key for the lock in a matter of seconds, either by brand name association, sight or trial and error.

With care, damaging or destroying locks is rare when bumping. Some locks are more susceptible than others; try searching for forums for "BEST" brand locks and read the discussions on those. Beginners, especially the really overzealous ones, tend to break quite a few locks and keys by using far too much force.

#4 thecoolkid1001

thecoolkid1001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

Thanks guys

How much force should I use?

#5 thecoolkid1001

thecoolkid1001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

Beginners, especially the really overzealous ones, tend to break quite a few locks and keys by using far too much force.

How much force should I use?

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:36 PM

The forums have a wealth of information on questions like this one, and I suggest your poke around there a bit.

The short answer is a.) turning force on the key is a little less than you would need to turn the change key and b.) the tap on the key is all in the wrist... a sharp, quick, light tap will do it... imagine ringing some sort of miniature bell.