• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 willzling

willzling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

I have watched and read about all the techniques used in bumping a lock. However, I cannot even get the lock to my house opened. I believe I did everything from applying a little bit of pressure to giving it a hard whack. However, none of my locks open. If you want to know, my lock is a standard faultless lock for rooms and houses. Perhaps it is too tight security for bumping? Maybe the minimal movement method doesn't work for my lock?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Faultless is a proper joke amongst Kwikset clones. You can bump that without a problem. You're going to be using the KW1 key.

It doesn't have any security pins, bells or whistles, so it should be a matter of technique and/or how the individual lock is pinned.

Don't start out with minimal movement. If you've already filed your key, that's fine, but always start with the pull-out method. That way there's no variable of having filed your key incorrectly, or excessively.

For pull-out, insert the key fully, pull it out one click, apply and hold light tension and give the head of the key a quick, solid flick with a screwdriver handle. If you're hitting it hard, that's probably your problem. Remember that what you're moving is only a set of ten tiny pins and five minuscule springs... with Kwiksets and clones, it really only takes a light tap.

Practice, and you'll get it soon. BUT! Don't do this on mounted locks in your house when you're learning. Bumping a broken lock is not effective, so when your lock breaks from being bumped too hard too many times, you'll still be locked out. ;)

#3 willzling

willzling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

How light of tension do I use?

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:31 PM

The common analogy for tension relates it to an elevator button. The amount of force necessary to push the button is really the most you'll ever need.

A more intuitive answer would be that you need as much, or perhaps a little less, tension than you need to turn the plug when the correct key is inserted. Obviously, this isn't much... certainly not enough to break keys!

#5 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

I sometimes use a k10 titan to bump these locks. Sometimes the longer keys works dont ask me how it just does.

#6 willzling

willzling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

What do you mean by "a quick solid flick?"

#7 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:50 AM

What do you mean by "a quick solid flick?"

Read this:

http://www.bumpkeyfo...p=9357#post9357

Lots of answers to questions in the official 'I can't get my key to work' thread.
Bump it to the next level.