Photo
- - - - -

my homemade key set... what's wrong with them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

hey everyone.... well, here's the story. i got bored at work yesterday so i went through a shoebox full of old keys and took a nice variety to make bumps keys with... after 3 hours, i have my set... so far, i've only tried the WR3,WR5, and Y1... but have had no success. i'm wondering why that is. is it the keys? is it my technique? or is it a lack of a decent bump hammer?(i was using the back of a screwdriver, a regular claw hammer, and a pair of pliers)

anyhow, check out the keys and let me know if they look alright, or if you can make any suggestions to fine tune them ;)

thanks for any input!

http://img255.images...age=backck5.jpg

http://img213.images...ge=frontvd9.jpg

#2 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Most of the cuts are too deep. Many people will disagree with me, but in my experience if your cuts touch the "rail" the key is trash. I've even had working keys and tried to tweek them by going deeper - big mistake. Other than that I would take one key at a time and make it look like the picture. Focus on quality rather than quantity.
The WR5 key is very close other than the depth. Some of your other keys are missing the front ramp and the file angle was steep.
Nice pictures, I can't get a good pic of a key to save my life.
Bump first and ask questions later.

#3 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

too deep? damn.. hahaha.... i was worried maybe they weren't deep enough.... blah. oh well... nothing lost but time i guess... i still have another couple hundred old keys in that shoebox at work... i guess i could start over again :P

#4 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

I may be wrong, look @ this WR5
Posted Image
Bump first and ask questions later.

#5 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

so, just in case my problem was the tool i'm using to bump the key with, i decided to take a trip to the dollar store and see what i could find to make a bump hammer out of.... here's what i got:

plastic ruler: 50 cents
cutting board: 1$

pretty straight forward... you can see very easily what i did.... and for the curve at the end, 30 seconds with a heat gun took care of that..... how well they will work.... i dunno.... i'll test them in about another 20 mins.... just giving the crazy glue a chance to dry (i was to lazy to hold the head on with a screw)

the one made entirely out of the cutting board has very little flex to it, and the one from the ruler has a decent amout of flex.... we'll see what happens.

http://img338.images...e=hammerrg3.jpg

#6 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

ok... well, i've tested the 2 hammers now... they both seem to work pretty well. the problem i'm having is, after each attempt when i release the tension off the key, i can hear 2-4 pins resetting. so, i'm close.... but i just can't get all the pins to jump =/

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

Problems vary key to key... by and large, you need to make the peaks smaller - see the SC1, KW1. Smaller and uniform peaks will help you out greatly... also, check spacing. The depth could be a problem, but the real "key" to success is making sure there's enough room for the pin to sit without being raised by the back of the peak before it, otherwise the pin is never actually at the deepest cut position, and thus it will never work. Also, your M1 doesn't have enough cuts, and the spacing is definitely fouled up on several others.

However, certainly not a bad attempt at all considering so many keys were involved. Check out google for pictures of bump keys and compare your keys to existing ones.

#8 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:39 PM

thanx for the tips.... i kinda figured after some more fiddling that my problem was the peaks to high and not enough space in between them.... i was messeing areound with the WR5 last night, and after i took all the pins out of the cylinder and lined them up on my key, i could see that the pins weren't reaching the bottom of my cuts.... i did a bit more tweaking and got a coupke succesful bumps with the WR5... but it still needs more work as i only get mabey 1 out of 30 attempts....

as far as sloppy cutting on lots of the others, i think i just rushed into it to much... and was getting tired of filling.... i'm thinking i'm gonna throw away most of them and concentrate on the WR's, SC's, Y, and Masters for now... then once i get them right... go back to my shoebox of old keys and work on the more obscure ones.....

again.. thanx a million for the tips!
(lol... i've found myself thinking over and over.... why aren't i just picking these locks?)