• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 commando

commando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hey I ran across this the other day. Pretty sweet way to open a padlock without any "real" tools.

I haven't tried it yet. But I'm gonna grab my collection of old padlocks this weekend, soak em in some wd40 & entertain myself for a couple hours.

Conceptually it seems pretty sound.

http://www.instructa...SYZ641EQHOASFH/
"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." -MARCUS AURELIUS

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

Correct -- it works!! There's a GREAT tutorial out there that actually goes through the steps of making a 'padlock shim'.

http://www.i-hacked....nt/view/189/48/ is the link from Google. Be sure to check out the movie at the bottom. ;)

Thanks for bringing this up... please update us (pictures,even?) with your progress as it's a great topic.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 govt1911

govt1911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:34 AM

I've tried shims on many, many locks and have not really had much success. I've only been able to get one lock open with them, and it was a pretty old Master combo lock. I've made quite a few out of soda cans and even bought some from Southord (I think??). Got the Master open with a popcan shim and no luck whatsoever with the "real" shims.
this is going to sound like a complete newby question, but is there a way to tell by looking at the outside of the lock if it's shimmable?

I understand how/why it works, but seems that the newer master combo and other locks don't have enough room between the shackle and the body to get the shim in.

#4 bryjorrin

bryjorrin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:15 PM

I understand how/why it works, but seems that the newer master combo and other locks don't have enough room between the shackle and the body to get the shim in.

It certainly seems as though newer master combo locks are being made with tighter spaces.

Of course, this isnt the first time master has been found guilty of givin people wide spaces to work with:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCz3_ladHNM

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

I have made hundreds of these guys... homemade padlock shims are an excellent solution to cheap locks in a pinch.

The professionally manufactured ones are great for most locks, including new production Master, etc., but even they wear out after just a few uses, which is a damn shame considering they cost almost a dollar a piece.

I'm waiting for someone to produce them out of something stronger than spring steel that would be *almost* infinitely reusable.

#6 Tharayman

Tharayman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

They still havent made any shims with good durability? Looks like a easy solution :)

#7 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

That is very interesting .. I can't wait until tomorrow so I will try and experiment this method. Anyone interested to post pictures and/or videos of their own?