• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harvardjanitor

harvardjanitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

Okay, so i'm looking at my lock right now, and it says Cal-Royal.

This is their website: http://www.cal-royal.com/

I have several questions
(1) If i buy a blank key, will I be able to make a bump key for my lock just by looking at my current key? (by measuring where and how deep to file the valleys of the keys)
(2) Can i do this with a file alone? (not a chainsaw file)
(3) If i gave up and wanted to buy a bumpkey, which one would I buy? Would any bumpkey work for my cal-royal lock?
(4) Am i allowed to buy a blank key at my local ace hardware store? Do i just say, "hi, i'd like to buy some blank keys."

Thanks for the help! I know these questions are sort of answered in other threads, but they are only half-answered to me and I want more direct ones. I've never seen in the threads any mention of my type of lock, Cal-Royal. I live in a college apartment, so keys aren't allowed to be duplicated.

#2 NDE

NDE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Cal Royal locks can accept any key in knob cylinder that is equipped with the proper tail piece. Your cal royal lock could have any cylinder from kwikset to abloy stuffed into it.

With it being Cal Royal it is most likely grade 2 hardware which to me says it is likely installed on a campus, business, etc which could possibly mean it is setup on a masterkey system which would make it easier to bump. You'll have to take a picture of the keyway and post the picture here before anyone here can help you.

#3 harvardjanitor

harvardjanitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

wow. ur right. i live on a campus apartment building. "easier to bump," cool!

i'll be upping pictures when i can, but what does you mean by my cal royal lock could have anything from "kwikset to abloy stuffed into it."

does that mean i would have to buy a kwikset key to make a blank key?

#4 NDE

NDE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

It means that virtually any type of cylinder can be installed into the cal royal hardware. Common is Sargent and Schlage keyways whe the hardware is bought new but they can have medeco, abloy, schlage primus, schlage everest, Yale, Kwikset, Mul-T-Lock, etc, types of cylinders installed also which is very common for the cylinders that came with the lock to be discarded and new keyways installed.. All I was saying that by you telling us that the hardware was Cal Royal we cannot tell you what kind of bumpkey you will need as it could have one of many different types of cylinders installed in it.