• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chriscoooper

chriscoooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

I've uploaded a picture of a normal key and the bump key that worked for it.

http://www.flickr.co...m4rc/227656135/

the key is bent because too much force was used for the tension.

#2 bumpfiend

bumpfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

I've looked at that phot above and several shots of keys from slickj. Loads of people seem well chuffed with them so those having problems seem to have technique issues. I've noticed that the keys have very, very low peaks. What do people think about the height of peaks? On my keys, the peaks are a lot bigger, approx 2.5mm - the entire distance between the two horizontal grooves that run the length of the key.
What do people think about this and - essentially - what's better?

#3 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

chriscooper didn't say what type of lock that key works on, and there's no indication in the image...so without that information, it's not possible to determine whether your key should or should not look like his...

In general, there's no need for them to be "taller."

#4 bumpfiend

bumpfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

OK - I'm gonna file some of my favourite YALE's down (as they seems to be what I'm best at) and keep trying them as I go. That way I'll be able to find the most desired height. Also MRWHITE, do you bother with a 'groove' behind the final peak?
(see: http://www.bumpkeyfo...c.php?p=272#272 )
spam all day long.

#5 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

I don't remove anything extra--I find that if you bother with it too much, sometimes you can compromise the strength of the key, and adversely affect the simple operation. The key to perfection is practice though, so you really ought to just experiment with different things, just to find your 'happy place'.

#6 bumpfiend

bumpfiend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:00 AM

I just bought a six pin ERA tumbler and have made four keys for it and only bumped it once! I'm gutted as I have a 100% record apart from this one. Although I have done it, it doesn't really count for me unless I can bump it consistently within three taps.
The annoying thing with bumping is, if it doesn't work too well, it's quite hard working out why. Will some locks just be ba***rds and not go regularly?
spam all day long.

#7 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

I saw the image. you did well on those keys but there are low peaks. so you made that low or it created accidentally.
Sandy