• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manvslock

manvslock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

hello i bought a set of bumpkeys to test the locks at my personal property and friends/family home and locks due to the high rate of burglerys in the area. I have been thinking about charging a few dollars to test the locks for other people for a few dollars with their consent. Would it be legal to solicit people to have their locks tested with a signed disclaimer for my protection? Thanks to the bumpkeys Im thinking about learning more about the locksmith trade as a part timer, this would be a great way to get started.

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:31 AM

It really depends on the law in your area. You may want to check the local and state laws about locksmith tools, possession of said locksmith tools, laws about practicing locksmithing, locksmith licensure, etc. Using bump keys as a hobby and practicing locksmithing is two completely different things.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

BLK is indeed correct. If you're in doubt just call your local police help desk (not 9-11).

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 manvslock

manvslock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

I didnt want to start a new thread but im really interested in doing some locksmith work as a side job. im wondering whats a good resource on learning the trade? i know you enthusiast might hate on me because this is not my hobby, but i am interested in learning.