• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keybumper19

keybumper19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:50 AM

Why wouldn't a Keyblank not open the locks? With no grooves it obviously would push up all pins and make the door open? Am I right?

Also I decided I couldn't wait till my keys got here so I decided to use some old keys we had lieing around to make a bump key. I used a ordinary house key and took a triangle shaped file and filed grooves in it and then it went in and I bumped it and nothing. What did I do wrong. How do you know what areas to file, etc. I filed in the grooves I seen already there.
Your Friend,
Danny aka Bumpkey19

I Purchased My BumpKeys from Bumpkey.us for personal purposes and for helping out family when they lock themselves out! :brickwall: Money in my pocket for a deed well done!

#2 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

Be patient, the keys are well worth the wait. If you try it by hand you will just flub it up

#3 Rogue

Rogue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:06 PM

To understand why an uncut key blank will not open a lock you need to understand how a lock works.
A cylinder lock like the one most people have on their homes and businesses is essentially a tube inside a cylinder. The tube (plug) and cylinder have holes drilled in them, this is where your pins are. From top to bottom in these drilled holes is a spring, a top pin, and a bottom pin. The bottom pin is what actually makes contact with the key. Top pins are usually all the same size (height), while the bottom pins vary in sizes, this is what makes a lock work. When you put a properly cut key in a lock it raises all the bottom pins so that the bottom pins and top pins meet where the plug and cylinder do (also called the sheer line). This allow a lock to turn freely. If you were to put an uncut blank into a lock all it would do is push the bottom pins past the sheer line.
You have a kwikset knob lock and no dead bolt on your doors and you think you can keep me out... aww thats so cute.