Photo
- - - - -

That great fealing you get when you FIRST bump a lock!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

I have had a lot of success in bumping my Schlage door lock, the Yale lock to the outside of my building, the Kwikset lock on my parents house ...

But I still think back to the first lock I bumped the the rush I got from it...

Back about a year ago or so (this was right after I first say "key bumping" in action at DefCon in 2006, saw the demonstration on how to make your own key - as this was prior to anyone really selling bump keys online, prior to the media explosion, etc.. - and soon as I got home from Vegas I made my own key for the M1 pad lock (using the spare key you get with the M1 package, which I selected as it was the cheapest lock to buy) ...

I made the key, checked and sure enough it wouldn't open the lock, but I tried for days and days (I had not filed the tip or shoulder on it as the demo I saw didn't say it was needed for the M1 lock) ... I was really getting heated over this and was beginning to think this method may not be truly possible, and remember, back over a year ago there were no videos of how to bump a lock to refer to on youtube or other sites ...

But then one day it clicked - literally... I whacked it with the back of a screwdriver and felt it give a little and then just unlocked it.... and while I didn't think my technique changed at all from all the other times, I must have been doing something different as from then on I was able to get it within never more then 8 or so bumps....

I have always had an obsession with keys and locks and consider myself to be a fairly proficient lock picker, but the first time I got a lock to bump open gave me a greater rush then the first time I picked a pick using a tension wrench and feeler pick ... I still keep that lock and that home-made M1 key on my entertainment center shelf ...

So, lets hear your stories about your first time...

Did it some easy for you right away?

Like me were you frustrated having tried so many times to get it, that you thought it wasn't possible for you to do?

What was the first lock you bumped?

Did you use a home-made key or one you bought (machine cut)?

When you first got it was it because you learned you were doing something wrong, or like me, did it just suddenly "click"?

Please, share your stories... it may make some of us that had a hard time getting it at first feel better knowing that this doesn't come instantly to everyone the moment they get a key!

//p

#2 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

wow tough crowd, I just started bumping about 4 days ago and i've only bumped kwiksets using the pull out method. The first time you feel that key turn is a great feeling, you can't really describe it. so far i've bumped 6 different 5 pin kwiksets and now I want to move on to more difficult things.

#3 willpower187

willpower187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

hey all, i am new to the forum, and just bumped my first lock. It's a five pin padlock(corbin). took me ages, and i had to keep taking more and more off the valleys till it was deep enough to bump. i have found that when making the keys yourself it is very much trial and error. anyway, just wanted to say WOW WHAT A FEELING.

#4 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

^^^^yeah i agree i'm still trying to get my keys just right.
I haven't had a succesful bump yet but I imagine that it'll be something like the first time i jiggled the ignition to a car. I'll just sit there and grin :D

#5 TSAXX

TSAXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:50 AM

^^^^yeah i agree i'm still trying to get my keys just right.
I haven't had a succesful bump yet but I imagine that it'll be something like the first time i jiggled the ignition to a car. I'll just sit there and grin :D

What kind of car?
you make your own, or did you get a set of auto jiggers?

#6 anarchymicro

anarchymicro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:11 AM

I had been reading about bumping and watching some videos for a day when I decided to make my first bump key. I didn't know enough about what I was doing to file the key correctly and I didn't know enough about the technique either, I made a key that same day and i couldnt get it to work. Having very little locks to try was my other problem.

I was still very intersted in bumping so I kept reading in forums and watching videos etc for a number of weeks.
I found a suitable c4 key to file down, I used a square file and was just careful with my filing. I had a lockwood padlock, I tried the key and to my amazement it worked on the thrid hit. I was stoked:biggrin:. I made another key right away and it worked aswell, but not quite as well as my first one.
My original key only just broke last week (crack between valley, still works though), I blame it on my friends when im showing them how to do it and they just whack the crap out of the key when its not working.

I made another key tonight and it works perfectly. Because I have practised alot with this padlock I have, I can usually bump it 10 times in a row or more.
I'm yet to find a lockwood padlock that I can't open, tried about 10. With a couple of padlocks I had to use the pull out method to get it to work though.

#7 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

What kind of car?
you make your own, or did you get a set of auto jiggers?

92 honda accord. I've also unlocked a 2001 accord, one of those chevy e class vans and 97 toyota camry. and i bought them from keepshooting.com $20 after shipping (priority USPS)

And I finally bumped my first lock today:biggrin: i had been banging away at my front door's kwikset with a shoe (hey it was close at hand, er uh foot) when i remembered seeing someone bump with a wooden spoon so i ran and grabbed one from the kitchen and popped the lock my :biggrin:very first try. of course after that i couldn't do it again in about 15 tries but i'm gonna scrounge up a hard handled screwdriver tomorrow and kee p at it:biggrin:

#8 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

really I felt awesome when I first used a bump key, that is really fantastic.
Sandy