Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Else Feel Weird Getting Your Keys Copied?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Appleguy08

Appleguy08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

Geez, i just got my set of 5 keys in the mail today, and the first thing i did was go make copies. I felt so weird because at the 2 different places i got copies (longs drugs and home depot) they were all like, what kind of keys are these? What are they used for? ive never seen this before! blah blah. I just tell them that they are keys to custom locks i have for the house. Anyone else feel this way?

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

Not at all! I just put a blank in my key cutter and make all the copies I want.:biggrin:
Bump it to the next level.

#3 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:46 PM

Honestly, I have made copies of all my keys, many I have made more then one copy, but with the news running MORE AND MORE of the SAME STORIES they have ran a DOZEN TIMES BEFORE about 'THE NEW TOOL BURGLARS USE TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE' I think that clerks are starting to wonder ... locally they not only show locks being bumped, but do a close-up on the key and you can clearly see it has been cut so deep ...

The questions I have been getting are "What does this go to?", "I have NEVER seen a key cut so deep", "I have NEVER seen a key with all uniform cuts" ... but no one has refused to make a copy ...

When I was getting my SC20 key copied they guy actually set his cutting machine on "automatic" (where it automatically runs over and you don't need to use your hands to move the guide) and it actually BROKE the end off one key, SHREDDED the second, and RIPPED THE END off a 3rd key, it was insane, it looked like the end of the key was split and pealed off - cheap blanks perhaps?... that is when the guy realized he needed to manually take some height off then run it on automatic when he had reduced it from a "0" to about a "7" or so ...

RUMOR HAS IT that police can seize any bump-keys you have on you as "burglary tools" - and I mean keys that have NOT been filed at the shoulders/tips/etc.. this DID happen to a friend of mine ... it has now become a necessary evil that I keep an SC1 key on my ring, so to make it look a little less like a bump-key I had it copied onto one of those key blanks with the huge ass rears/handles with some cartoon print all over it ...

Not at all! I just put a blank in my key cutter and make all the copies I want.:biggrin:

Just wondering, what does a key cutter go for? Also, so one could make their own bump keys, what do the ones you enter the code in (as in "99999") and set the key type retail for? Nothing much on eBay ...

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:03 AM

The reason you mentioned above is one of the reasons why we've got to price the SC20's higher than the 'normal' keys. More than 2-3 out of 10 end up being broken \ bent \ shredded.
Because this key has a tendency to bend \ break we MANUALLY insert EACH SC20 into a Schlage deadbolt prior to shipment to ensure that it's straight and workable - a total pain in the ass!!

But on topic: most people don't know what they are. And I say 'most'. You will run into a few people that might have seen a special tv report about lock bumping and are now bumping experts - not to worry if you're not breaking the law.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

The fact that bump keys are uniform really gives them away. Fortunately, if you want to get them copied, it seems as though most people at hardware stores get drunk and watch the grass grow instead of watching the news media report on the impending doom of all of their personal possessions by the spectre of the bump key threat.

As for your SC20... it's super thin, and you visited Home Depot. Home Depot uses Axxess brand blanks, which reign supreme in the realm of crappy blanks. Not only do regular width Axxess keys bend, break, crack and generally disintigrate with normal use, the finish also comes off of them. The machine that they use is only meant to correctly cut a normal key 70 percent of the time, but guarantees this number when the person operating the machine has an IQ that is less than 70. In general, beware of these blanks.

The magic rule for not getting your bump keys confiscated: don't carry them with you. And if you must, keep them in a tool box. And if you can't, don't do stuff that results in your interacting with police. And if you must interact with police, act in a manner such that you aren't searched resulting in the confiscation of your bump keys!

A decent key cutting device can go for anywhere from $600 to $4,500, depending on what you need it to do and how much work you want to put into cutting the keys. The more expensive ones are computerized, but the ones that most people could afford with some saving work on the principal of either a.) copying an existing key or b.) using a card that is associated with the spacing and depth of a specific key to cut a key to a series of predetermined depths.

#6 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

Sorry I made this so long. In short, I had a hardware store manager figure out I had been getting bump keys copied ..

Saturday Afternoon..

I actually ran into someone that knew EXACTLY what I was working with when I went to an Ace Hardware (they have the best blanks, Ilco namely) to get a copy of my SC20 key - as I posted in the Q&A thread for people that are having difficulties, I have been having a hell of a time getting my SC20 to work in an SC1 lock .. finally figured it out, have had success pulling it out 2 bumps, but killed about 2 keys from trying to file down the shoulder, tip, etc.. I also had to get my first copies made at Home Depot, and as you said theopratr, their blanks suck, so once I mastered it, my one remaining duplicate key I had not filed now had the teeth worn down, bent, etc..

When I called and found out my local Ace had some Ilco SC20 blanks I headed over - I now have a good relationship with the manager that works on weekend afternoons cutting keys, and he knows when I walk in to head back to the cutter .. I gave him my SC20 master and told him that from experience, I would save him the time and key blanks, and that he should manually cut the blank down a bit instead of running it on automatic, as in the past I had witnessed blanks being chewed up in most violent of manors .. so I requested 2 copies, and gave him the key ..

"Another one of these deep cuts ones, 'eh? I finally figured out what these are used for, they are BUMP KEYS"

This definitely caught me off guard ... was he going to seize my key? Tell me if I wanted it back he would have to call the police, and have them give it back to me? If he called the cops he would almost certainly tell them about the many other bump-keys he had personally made copies of for me .. this was making me very nervous, and I was beginning to think "Perhaps if just leave, walk out quick, and buy a new one, that would be less trouble then having to deal with a cop that may think this is illegal in and of itself.."

I replied - "Well, yeah, but I use them for resident lockouts at (name of apartment complex) because we have some many units there are about 6 types of locks installed throughout the complex, we only have a master-key for about 1/4th of those, and anyway, some residents have installed their own (those last few statements were a white-lies, as all residents must use a lock we installed & have master keys for, there honestly are master keys for all the locks, it's just that there are over 60 keys for the half-dozen types of locks from SC1, SC4, KW1, Y1 and I believe WR5 locks, so once the lock is identified there could be, many keys to try (in the case of the SC1 masters, 26 possible) .. this makes bumping easier ... oh, sorry to get off-topic ..

I stayed calm but was still afraid that if the cops came, and it was some ignorant cop (Florida has more then it's fair share, believe me!) that thought bump-keys were illegal, I could go to jail, face charges, etc.. (click here for the thread about a friend of mine arrested for having bump keys ... )

It seemed someone had turned up the thermostat in the store as I was getting warm as my mind raced with the idea of having being arrested and getting a felony conviction for possession of burglary tools - should I just run? That would definitely make me look guilty, but I had never paid via a credit card so how could they identify me? Oh crap, my license plate could be written down.. what to do... I was mentally in a panic!

He was being silent and taking his time to reply to my reason for having what he knew was a bump key, and if he had learned about this via one of the local news stories then he probably thought possessing such a key was a felony in and of itself ... finally he replied:

"A guy that works for a locksmith stopped by to pickup some handles we ordered for him, and he mentioned he was going to be on (one of the local news stations) the other night in a special they were doing about some local kids that have been breaking into houses using bump-keys, and they wanted to have a locksmith come in to demonstrate how easy it is and give a short explanation of how it works.. so I asked him what a bump-key was, and he went out to his van and brought in a ring with about 50 keys on it, showed them to me and explained it, and then it clicks where I had seen those before - THEY WERE THE SAME TYPE KEYS YOU HAVE BEEN GETTING COPIES MADE HERE!"

Well, no denying what the key he was holding in his hand was..

"Yeah, I guess that is kinda of a slang term for them, but I thought you needed a locksmith license to buy those? Like I said, I use them for our resident lockouts, you can call the apartment complex and they will tell you I handle resident lockouts.." I asked if he wanted a business card and only hoped he wouldn't ask for some type of proof I have a locksmith license, as I don't ..

He said he had no problem in taking my word for it, as he knew me from coming in in the past and mentioning I worked for an apartment complex doing maintenance ..

He even made me the copies I needed!

As he thanked me I told him "it's those damn teenagers that are taking a tool I use and perverting it's use in breaking into peoples houses" - and threw in the obligatory "They probably get them off eBay! You can get anything of eBay it seems!"

I now question if I should continue to go to him for my copies in the future, or not? Now that I have 2 copies of the SC20, and now that I figured out how to use it properly, it's not likely I will need another copy for a long time! I already have a full set of duplicates for all my keys and I have 2 extra SC1 and KW1 keys, given the extensive use I give those .. I think I will play it safe and stick to other stores for my future key copies ...

Sorry for such a long post, but I figured I would give all my fellow bumpers something to read and either laugh at, I mean, I was about to crap myself - or possibly take as a message that the saturation of this media coverage regarding "bump keys" could mean more people know what those "weird keys with all those uniform deep cuts" are also known as - while not illegal to have a master that has not had the tip/shoulders filed (in fact, on the website it says you can't legally ship filed keys through the mail, but are they, by themselves, considered to be illegal?) well, just be aware, and instead of getting a copy made at a store with the guy that previously worked as a locksmith before he retired and now works part-time at the local hardware store, either go for the 17 y/o girl that is working to get some money to pay for an iPhone, or maybe save up for implants, or go to one of the Lowes, Home-Depot, etc.. super-stores where some 18 y/o kid that doesn't give a crap what type of key it is make your copy, as he is only working to pay for all the modifications on his Honda Civic and hydroponically grown marijuana - he doesn't care, it's just another easy way to kill time.. (in fact it was the guy that fit the description of the guy I described above that actually made a copy of a key that said "DO NOT REPLICATE" some time ago ..

Godspeed bumpers! Don't let some minimum wage clerk that wants to be a "good samaritan" decide to ruin your day by taking your keys and forcing you to risk dealing with a cop that doen't know the law, or lose your new keys!

//p

#7 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

Never ever felt like that, I get my keys copied several times and everything went fine. I think may be some security issues.

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Actually what also bothers me is how much it is expensive to have your keys copied here in Paris. I had to pay 25 Euros to make a copy of my building door keys and that is insanely expensive, don't you guys think?

#9 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Honestly, I have made copies of all my keys, many I have made more then one copy, but with the news running MORE AND MORE of the SAME STORIES they have ran a DOZEN TIMES BEFORE about 'THE NEW TOOL BURGLARS USE TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOUSE' I think that clerks are starting to wonder ... locally they not only show locks being bumped, but do a close-up on the key and you can clearly see it has been cut so deep ...

The questions I have been getting are "What does this go to?", "I have NEVER seen a key cut so deep", "I have NEVER seen a key with all uniform cuts" ... but no one has refused to make a copy ...

When I was getting my SC20 key copied they guy actually set his cutting machine on "automatic" (where it automatically runs over and you don't need to use your hands to move the guide) and it actually BROKE the end off one key, SHREDDED the second, and RIPPED THE END off a 3rd key, it was insane, it looked like the end of the key was split and pealed off - cheap blanks perhaps?... that is when the guy realized he needed to manually take some height off then run it on automatic when he had reduced it from a "0" to about a "7" or so ...

RUMOR HAS IT that police can seize any bump-keys you have on you as "burglary tools" - and I mean keys that have NOT been filed at the shoulders/tips/etc.. this DID happen to a friend of mine ... it has now become a necessary evil that I keep an SC1 key on my ring, so to make it look a little less like a bump-key I had it copied onto one of those key blanks with the huge ass rears/handles with some cartoon print all over it ...

Just wondering, what does a key cutter go for? Also, so one could make their own bump keys, what do the ones you enter the code in (as in "99999") and set the key type retail for? Nothing much on eBay ...

cartoon print???haha...very wise...too bad there are some places that have such strict laws...we can't blame the law anyways because there are really some people who uses bump keys for burglary rather than for personal use in your own door lock...

#10 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:16 PM

Geez, i just got my set of 5 keys in the mail today, and the first thing i did was go make copies. I felt so weird because at the 2 different places i got copies (longs drugs and home depot) they were all like, what kind of keys are these? What are they used for? ive never seen this before! blah blah. I just tell them that they are keys to custom locks i have for the house. Anyone else feel this way?

It will be weird for me to know and be asked by those people who make copies of keys about what kind of key is that. Coz I assume they will be the one to recognize them first as they are the one's working with keys :-) 

#11 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:40 PM

Well, its strange to see such a response from a locksmith, i actually believe that the locksmiths to whom you are referring of all the weird questions like What kind of keys they are? are not locksmiths at all, they are just some jobless freaks who adopt any profession in the time of need. I recommend always go for an experienced and well reputed  locksmith in case when you need copy of your keys or purchasing new locks.

#12 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:30 AM

Well, its strange to see such a response from a locksmith, i actually believe that the locksmiths to whom you are referring of all the weird questions like What kind of keys they are? are not locksmiths at all, they are just some jobless freaks who adopt any profession in the time of need. I recommend always go for an experienced and well reputed  locksmith in case when you need copy of your keys or purchasing new locks.

I agree. If I were asked with that question I'd be like "Oh they are keys use for breaking in a house" lol. 

#13 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:35 AM

I agree. If I were asked with that question I'd be like "Oh they are keys use for breaking in a house" lol. 

Hahahahhaha, and i hope you get away with it 

#14 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:36 AM

Hahahahhaha, and i hope you get away with it 

hahaha.. right. And I hope no locksmith would ask me that question. :-)

#15 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

hahaha.. right. And I hope no locksmith would ask me that question. :-)

Yes, certainly he won't but I am looking forward to such an adventure tongue.png

• TanVanMan likes this