• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heli90

Heli90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

Has anyone had the opportunity to bump a Masterlock 6850 series padlock? I ordered a M10 bump key from Bumpkey.US. I cant get this lock open to save my life. The lock was outside on a gate for a couple of years. I have cleaned it with alcohol in an attempt to clean out any dirt, sludge, residue, etc. The pins appear to be moving freely. Any suggestions other than time, practice and patience? Thanks

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Five spool pins translates to a world of hurt for a new bumper. If you ever get it to work, you're going to need to use a miniscule amount of tension and a perfectly modified minimal movement key.

#3 Heli90

Heli90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

I should have known that I would have a nightmare of a lock to bump. Thanks

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:21 AM

It's not that it's really impossible to do, it's more that you have to attack it from the right angle.

If the lock was outside for a period of years, you're right in thinking that it needs cleaning. Alcohol is on the right track, but it's still a polar solvent... to remove dirt and grease that has built up in the lock, try something teflon or petroleum based. Tri-Flow is my favorite, it's the teflon analog to WD-40, which is petroleum based. The Tri-Flow also contains a dedicated cleaning agent. If you have the original key to the lock, spray some of your solvent into the keyway, insert the key and turn it back and forth a few times. Then withdraw the key and wipe off the sludge. Put the key back in, pull it out, wipe of the sludge... and repeat as necessary. Once the key starts to come out relatively clean, give the lock another shot of solvent and let it drain/dry out overnight.

With a clean, properly lubricated lock, you should be able to defeat the spool pins with a bit of practice. The spool pins make picking a lock much more difficult; and it also makes bumping a bit harder. Where your normal top pins are a uniform cylindrical shape, these spool pins are markedly narrower in the middle.

Posted Image

The narrowed centers to the top pins allow the cylinder to give a little, thus not allowing other top pins to pass the shearline and effectively getting stuck, which only happens to normal pins under heavy tension.

So, to combat this, use a sharp tap and very light tension. The lighter your tension is, the better your chances are that the spool pins won't get stuck at the shearline on the way up.

#5 bentley

bentley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

I had no problem bumping this lock...here is a video of me bumping the 6850, and its little brother the 6350 (I think those are the numbers on the smaller one) with home made 6000B keys.

I do however have a problem bumping cheap shlage and quickset locks...and they have regular pins!! Who knows, must be my technique that I have to work on.

I keep breaking the 6000B Keys though when bumping the 6850, could I be hitting it to hard, or could it be the recessed keyhole or could it be cheap master keys? Maybe I will have better luck trying a ilco.

Enjoy

Posted Image

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:56 PM

If your keys are breaking, regardless of manufacturer, you're definitely hitting the key too hard and/or putting way too much tension on it.

Ironically, this may explain your success in bumping the 6850. Spool pins are normally defeated by using almost no tension at all, but multiple bumping attempts while applying heavy tension has a strange way of working on locks with several spool pins. After trying this, I found that the action was successful by wearing away at the heads and bodies of the spool pins themselves... thus, don't try this at home! There is a significant risk of the lock being damaged beyond repair if something breaks and gets jammed.

If you want to bump Kwikset/Schlage lock sets, use much less force in striking the key and almost negligible tension. You should find it to be much easier than you originally thought!

#7 bentley

bentley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:56 AM

Interesting.....I do think I was hitting a little hard, but I was using VERY little tention....just about the weight of my fingers, if that makes any sense. My keys were only breaking on the 6850 lock....every other lock I have bumped (only padlocks) i had no problem with the keys.

Thanks for the advice Theo....I will definitley change my bumping technique.