• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

How long does a bumpkey last until one has to retire it? I've noticed that my key is looking pretty rough and isnt working as well as it first did. I think about a 1000 bumps is all it will last. Any comments?

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

I don't think there really is a generic life span for a key. I will say it depends on the type of key. Usually the WR5's 'go' before, say, the SC keys do.

It also heavily depends on the user - I wish I could say 'after 500 bumps replace keys' but that answer just doesn't exist. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :cool:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

My bump keys usually last about 1 or 2 uses. Then I lose them in the van somewhere and one day when I clean it out I will probably have a massive bump key sale!

I think (from personal experience and from talking to others) the 2nd bump key lasts longer due to the fact that practice and experience with a variety of locks makes the new bumper wiser and better able to finess a lock open instead of beating the crap out of the key trying to open a lock.
Bump it to the next level.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

If you're pounding on your bump key, give it a life of about a half-dozen uses. If you're gentle, it should last through thousands of bumps. The shape and size of the peaks is also a consideration... the sharper the peaks, the sooner it's going to get worn down.

#5 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

That depend on the type of key and the way it is used. If it is used normally it can server last longer but unnecessary tension makes the life shorter.
Sandy