Master lock No.140

does this lock take a M-10 key?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

Master lists it as a "130K" in their technical manual, which does very little good. After a bit of research... it smells like it's an M13. Although it is advertised as being available in 3, 4 or 5 pin configurations, I've never found one that wasn't a 4 pin.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:19 AM

Master lists it as a "130K" in their technical manual, which does very little good. After a bit of research... it smells like it's an M13. Although it is advertised as being available in 3, 4 or 5 pin configurations, I've never found one that wasn't a 4 pin.

I've never been to 'Mr.Lock'. I like the fact that they give you a bit of info about what lock uses what key. Book marked! This site should make it a bit easier than looking thru the Ilco catalog and trying to match the keys up.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

I actually used a combination of the Master Lock Technical Manual, the ILCO catalog and Mr. Key to determine exactly what key it was.

Master = Master Blank Name
Mr. Key = Picture of Master Blank
ILCO = Common Name of Key (by sight)

#5 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

yes the m13 is the key. made my own. still looking for a machine cut one.
Posted Image
the 140

#6 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

I was wondering what the deal was with registered keys. These keys have clearly stamped " Do not duplicate " on them. If you were the founder of bump keys wouldn't be naturally drawn to the most difficult and rare of all bumpable locks? If you were a theif, these would also be the most valuable. Why are the registered keys kept under the sheets? ( Keep in mind these key blanks are easily found, if you can find the blanks a bump key can be made in minutes. ) My point is........what happened to the hype?
Bump first and ask questions later.

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

There are, I suppose, two ways to take what you're saying:

If by "registered" you mean it's stamped "Do Not Duplicate", or something else to that effect, it's really meaningless in reality. There is in actuality no law that says that such a key can't be copied, and gives a locksmith who would be copying the key an out if the person trying to copy it smells like crime. The SC1 for my front door is stamped Do Not Duplicate, and I do it all the time. Many locksmiths do, in fact, adhere to this policy, generally the holder of keys stamped as such have had them issued to them, and copies can be made by the person holding the originals. (See also: college dorms, apartment complexes, large corporate facilities, etc.)

There is also such thing as a properly "registered" key - the configuration of the key blank is unique, and associated with a particular vendor. Thus, no matter how hard you look, you're not going to find the right key blank anywhere else. The only way to duplicate such a registered key is to go to the original vendor with your key and/or identification, as the number on the key blank is linked to your name, which is held by the vendor.

Another thing to think about is that a key that is marked as DND doesn't mean that it's rare or difficult to bump... Russwins bump without much trouble, BESTs are as common as pigeons, and both are "registered" keys that are commonly marked as DND.

Additionally, many of these "specialty" keys are just that: they're these secretive keys marked DND, and you could technically make a bump key for them... and it wouldn't work. From Medeco to Abloy, a bump key just won't do the trick. Most of the time. ;)