• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 siggy

siggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 09:24 AM

Well, I first found out about bump keys from an article that had nothing to show what one looked like except for a couple of rough line drawings and the basic descriptions of what they are. So, being the curious guy that I am, and having an old Kwikset key in my pocket, I decided to try my hand at making one. Here's the picture:

Posted Image

After making they key, I found this board. As you can probably see, the peaks are a bit too high, the cuts are probably not deep enough, and may be a bit too wide.

Just thought I'd share.

#2 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

It is a good try for your first key, but if I were you I would Look at examples on this bored. The key is still a good first attempt.

#3 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

That looks like a bump key on meth :eek:.
Bump on!!!!

#4 siggy

siggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Yup, It's not too great. Didn't have a triangular file in the shop when I made it, nor did I really have any idea of what one is supposed to look like. I'm going to go get a couple of key blanks this afternoon, as well as a triangular file, and see what I can come up with tonight at work.

#5 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

Yep, you should make the valleys more deeper and wider to make these bump-keys work more efficiently. Working with triangular file will make these keys more productive. Well, all good luck for your future try.
Sandy