Dimple Prevention

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

"What the Bump" shows a way one can add a hot glue "stopper" to a bump key to prevent dimpling the locks you are bumping. Can anyone share success in trying this? Or does anyone know a better method? Any response would be appreciated.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:55 PM

"What the Bump" shows a way one can add a hot glue "stopper" to a bump key to prevent dimpling the locks you are bumping. Can anyone share success in trying this? Or does anyone know a better method? Any response would be appreciated.

IC it now ;)

Sorry for the long delay...

As I've never been too worried if the lock was marked I've never used hot glue.

I'll have to give it a wirl anyhow..

Have you tried it at all?

#3 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

no, not yet. I think i am going to though. I just didnt want to waste my time if it turned out to be something someone was just HOPING would work

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

no, not yet. I think i am going to though. I just didnt want to waste my time if it turned out to be something someone was just HOPING would work

It does make perfect sense that it would indeed work. It just creates a little padding \ cushion so the shoulder doesn't strike hard.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

the way i remember them explaining it (correct me if im wrong) you would align the glue stick stopper so that it would be flush against the lock when the key was in its "normal" position. That way, when bumped, the glue would give way just enough to allow the pins to be hit. Do you agree, or do you think you should align the stopper so that it is where you would have filed a normal bump key to?

#6 brokendrew

brokendrew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

I saw this from the Nederlanders. Wouldn't plain 'ol electrical tape work better?

just a thought.

#7 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

it could, the difference would be that you would be padding the shoulder rather than relying on the "stopper" as the shoulder.

#8 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

My method for reducing(actually eliminating) dimpling is a small piece of scotch tape over the shoulder. Then it isn't directly connecting with the lock, therefore there's no way to make any type of mark. Try it out.

#9 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

i will, thanks

#10 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

My method for reducing(actually eliminating) dimpling is a small piece of scotch tape over the shoulder. Then it isn't directly connecting with the lock, therefore there's no way to make any type of mark. Try it out.

This is a good way, Although I never used that but I'll try that out, seems like interesting.