• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:23 PM

I know it's been said a few times before but recently we've been getting a few e-mails inquiring as to the type of key we use for our bump keys.

The majority our keys are now Ilco Nickel plated solid Brass keys. We have a few odd solid Brass Taylor (Taylor is now owned by Ilco) keys floating around.

While the Taylor keys seem just as sturdy as the Ilco keys and we've had NO problem with them what so ever, we will be slowly fazing them out as it's more convenient for us to cut Ilco keys versus Taylor keys.

We will soon be introducing a few more keys that are made from JMA Nickel Plated solid Brass keys. These keys are mostly padlock keys, and a few other are for residential and commercial applications.

Stay tuned! :bow:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#2 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:43 AM

Any chance a bump key for a best lock?

#3 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:45 AM

I hope the new type you are going to be introducing is a American Lock (AM) bump key. I still have my american lock that I lost the key to.

Looking forward to the new keys :)

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

We'll see! ;)

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

There are two types:
brass and nickel silver

I like nickel silver all the way.

nickel plated is the same as brass. The only difference is the shiny silver cosmetic finish that won't tarnish

ALL original Schlage and Best keys are nickel silver and commercial grade aftermarket replacements are NS as well. I hear they dull the cutter faster, however they're stronger and more wear resistant.

Although sometimes you can't avoid using brass when you can't find NS blanks, such as the M1 blank. The shiny Best type key is brass too, which I made for demonstrating on video... but I avoid brass whenever I can.
Posted Image

All except the "cheap" and "crap" are nickel silver. Sometimes it's hard to tell when they're new, but brass will tarnish and turn brown. Nickel Silver keeps the golden silver look for a long time.

Edited by WOT, 05 June 2008 - 11:58 AM.