• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evanz

Evanz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

Im about to buy a master set of bumb keys. Im just woundering, once I get them, how do I know what key bumps what lock?
Also does anyone know the laws regarding bump keys in california?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:54 PM

The size of the set gives the retailer away, and the keys that I bought from bump j were crap... poorly cut, the depths weren't aligned about 80% of the time, and the spacing was wrong about 30% of the time. You probably couldn't be prosecuted for possession of those keys, as they would never work anyway. ;)

That being said, the keys match by brand... Kwikset to KW, Schlage to SC, Arrow to AR, etc.

If you don't know what key to use, count the pins and match it up to the specifications from the manufacturer.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

If the key fits it should bump the lock assuming there are the same number of pins. Usually you can tell what type of lock it is. If it says 'Dexter' on the lock you'll know you obviously can't use a Kwikset key.

Check with an attorney or local law officials as to the law since it varies greatly from state to state and even city to city.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

If you usually read on the lock somewhere it will state the type of lock, such as kwikset etc.

Then on your keys you just look for something like that name. Like Kw1 would be kwickset.

So pettry much common sence :cool:

#5 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

The key-way is different in different locks and that will match with the key. If key fits inside the key-way that means you put right key inside the lock.