• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

While this doesn't have anything to do with bumping, I figured someone might be able to help.

A buddy of mine has been using a Sentry combo (spin-dial) safe for a long time now, and it suddenly won't open for him (or me) no matter how many times we try. He uses this thing every day, so I'm sure he didn't just get the combo mixed up. So I'm wondering if maybe these safes are prone to getting the dial getting knocked out of allignment or something. This is my only guess as to why it's not working.

I tried using a method of finding the combo that was used on a combo masterlock in a video I saw on youtube, but it didn't help any.

Any advice on how to get it to open considering we know what the combo is (or should be)?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Two rather obvious questions to consider first:

1.) Any signs of forced entry?

2.) In attempting to operate the locking mechanism, does it sound or feel any different?

If neither of those two apply, it is possible, perhaps, that something got fouled about... try the combination offset by 1, 2, maybe 3 numbers in either direction (for each number in the combination) in relation to what the real combination is. If that doesn't work, I wouldn't suggest screwing around with it... call a locksmith. The component malfunction is probably beyond the scope of even the finest non-professional repair. Even an expensive locksmithing bill is probably going to be far cheaper than a new safe.

#3 MontrealHomegrown

MontrealHomegrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:59 PM

Alot of safes you can crack just by the sound of the dial, also goto wikipedia.org and type in safe cracking you will find some good info. good luck bro