11 replies to this topic

#1 buzzkill

buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Hello,

We purchased a complete set this morning. Does anyone know if they can be used on this lock? Unfortunately I dont know the make of the lock. It is on a metal box on the wall in the basement of a house we purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

To better help us can you please take a up close shot of the lock.

Thanks alos

~Scott

#3 buzzkill

buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry these were taken with my phone, I cant get much clearer shots. Im told this is a cable box, if that helps at all.

Second question, when should I expect my order to ship?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Let me go check my box.

I am check my alarm box and my storage cases like that.

As for your order being shiped, they have been experiencing delays due to the large order influx.

It takes about 2 weeks, give or take a few days.

I will get back to you about the key in just a few minutes :)

~Scott

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Given the size of the lock and the application, it's almost certainly a wafer-tumbler lock, which is not prone to attack by bumping.

It would, however, be an extremely easy pick. If you desperately need it open, take a pair of nail clippers that have the folding file on the back, and insert the file portion into the lock. Quickly (but gently!) rock the file up and down while applying light turning pressure to the lock. It may take anywhere from five to ninety seconds, but it usually works... assuming that the file is longer than the key, and that the lock is a wafer lock.

Best of luck!

#6 buzzkill

buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

Really? Interesting! This is going to be a hobby I am planning to pursue. My GF should like it cuz it keeps me in the house. I should say at this point Im flying blind. Should I try the file in a. or b. ?

Thank so much for the help.

Posted Image

#7 scott6003

scott6003

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

b ;)

try that.

#8 buzzkill

buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

Sorry for the stupid question. It became obvious when i went back and looked. I didnt get in but I need to spend some time on it and Im not sure if the file is big enough. I can feel the pins and it goes in all the way but it might go further. Thanks again for the help. Now I really want in there.

#9 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

If the file is of insufficient length to act as a "jiggler" for that lock, you could try something of similar composition and slightly larger size, and/or make yourself a crude set of picks. Look up the MIT Guide to Lockpicking to get a quick primer on how to do that.

Just a reminder... if using the file, be gentle... too much force will just land you with a broken lock!

#10 buzzkill

buzzkill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

I am still having trouble with this lock. Its a box used by the cable company.. Any more ideas?

#11 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

If its a wafer lock, it could be picked in about 30 seconds...

If its a pin tumbler lock, even if you had a bump key, bumping on a metal door would cause the energy of the bump to transfer to the door and cabinet...instead of transfering to the pins. The lock needs to be attached to a solid surface...wooden door etc.

Picking the pins would be the way to go....very light tension.
Bump on!!!!

#12 Rogue

Rogue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Look on the lock closely and let me know if it has any numbers stamped into it. if it does i can hopefully tell you what blank you can use and the cuts to open that lock.
You have a kwikset knob lock and no dead bolt on your doors and you think you can keep me out... aww thats so cute.