Photo
- - - - -

my key is breaking, do they need to be a harder metal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chriscoooper

chriscoooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

What are your keys made of?

After just a few uses (opened the same lock about five times), my yale bump key is bent, and has a crack in it. I am afraid if i use it again it will break off in the lock.

I wasn't turning it -that- hard in the lock, just light tension, i thought.

Anyway, as the toool doc said, do we need harder metal for keys? Like hardened steel? How do you even know what metal a key is made of?

thx

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

Our keys are made of solid brass with a silver coating.

As bumpkey.us currently DOES NOT sell any Yale keys, you must not have gotten your keys from us so we really can't say why your keys broke.

Tension is the tricky part - it doesn't require all that much... it just takes practice to learn the right amount of tension.

As far as steel keys, there really arent that many. There's only a few types of keys that are *solid steel* - residential \ commercial building keys are not usually one of them. Usually you will see steel keys in post office box keys and similar applications like safety deposit boxes. Cutting steel keys on a code cutting machine will *really* wear the machine out ---- VERY FAST.

You can tell what a key is made of by look at the key from the top down. Look at where its been cut (the valleys of the key). In brass keys you will see a goldish color. You can tell if you have a steel key by simply using a magnet.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:54 AM

Breaking keys means either it made up of soft metal or you are using hard force to turn that. Mostly using less force will work for you.

Chris