• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roman

Roman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

I just registered and this is my first post.

First of all, I found out about key bumping from that "exposť" on it on youtube. If that news team wanted to increase the number of key bumpers on this planet, they did a fine job.

I watched it, then went, "Hmm. Interesting." Then I searched it on youtube, found the howto, got interested, made a cheap, shitty bump key (KW1) with a triangle file, then played with it for a few days with no results. Then one day it worked, and I was hooked.

Fast forward about a month, now I have made a couple workable bump keys which I've tested very successfully with unmounted locks, but with mounted locks, like my front door and a friend's Kwikset locks, it doesn't seem to work.

KW1 made for Minimal Movement

KW1 adapted for pull-out, no extra filing.

Schlage SC1

Also, I read about the hammers, and at first I used the wooden handle of an old ice pick which worked ok, and got me my first bump. I checked all the hammers and got the basic principle, but I thought I could do better, so this is what I came up with.

Scale view next to a bump key. The nasty goop is Gorilla Glue.

Me holding the thing up. It is flexible enough to get a good hard swing.

Side view, showing the brass buckle and plate used for weight. You can also see the striking surface between the stitching and how it has bumps, but no tears. The leather makes a good bumping surface.

As you can see, it's made from the severed buckle of an old belt. I figured the leather would have enough flex to make for a good swing, and it would also make a sturdy enough surface to survive loads of bumping, while being soft enough to keep my keys alive and hard enough to serve. I tore off the pin part that goes through the notches, and used the buckle part (solid brass) as a weight, holding it back against the belt with a leather strip Gorilla Glued to it. I also stuck a metal plate (brass) in it for extra weight. The thing has a good swing to it.

I like it because it has worked for me so far and I can fit it into my pocket, due to it's flat profile. It also has a huge sweet spot (1"x1") but that also means a few bumped knuckles, but I've learned to avoid that.

My questions are:
1. Anything about my keys that can use improvement?
-I haven't been able to get the Schlage to work, mostly because I don't have any readily accessible Schlage locks to practice on.
2. What do you think about my makeshift bump hammer?
3. Anything I need to know particularly about the dynamics of bumping mounted, in-door locks as opposed to unmounted, hold-in-your-hand locks?

I ordered a few keys from the site, so they'll be coming shortly... i hope.

#2 Roman

Roman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:45 AM

If anyone has any experience in dealing with mounted, in-door locks rather than unmounted tumblers, please lemme know. I have a 80%+ success rate on the couple locks i have but the ones in my door are much less consistent. Advice on technique would be greatly appreciated.

#3 squeakyyy

squeakyyy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

Another site fallen to the master...:bow:

Search for cheepbumpkeys on fleabay. replace the extra e in cheep with an a.

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

My questions are:
1. Anything about my keys that can use improvement?
-I haven't been able to get the Schlage to work, mostly because I don't have any readily accessible Schlage locks to practice on.
2. What do you think about my makeshift bump hammer?
3. Anything I need to know particularly about the dynamics of bumping mounted, in-door locks as opposed to unmounted, hold-in-your-hand locks?

I ordered a few keys from the site, so they'll be coming shortly... i hope.

First - welcome to the forums!

Let's see if we can work thru these questions.....

1) With KW1 keys, it's always best to have W_I_D_E valleys. OEM pins are actually quite wide and thus if the valley on the key is not wide enough bumping will not work.

2) I've seen a number of hammers (read: saw blade hammer) and this is one of the first i've seen that uses something pretty much everyone has. I know it's been covered a few times, but in reality pretty much _anything_ could be used as a bump hammer.... If it's working for you, and you're happy with the success rate, there's no reason to change.

3) I think I'll have to write up a 'newb guide to bumping' and offer it on our site to address many of the same questions we receive daily as this is one of them. The most important aspect of bumping that we can't stress enough is the amount of tension that should be applied is usually VERY small. You don't need that much tension at all to successfully bump a lock. I wish we could say 'apply .5 pounds of press to key' - but it doesn't work like that. Each lock has it's only bumping point... Each lock is different.
While bumping in your hand you (by that I mean ME), overlook where my hands would be if there was a door there. When a lock is on a door it actually adds a bit more complicity i believe. If you're always practicing with a lock in your hand, it's going to be different and not like the many times you've practiced with a lock in your hand. Also keep in mind I'm not advocating practicing on a door that is still functional as bumping MAY cause a lock to damage.

Hopefully i've been able to shed a little light on your questions.

Please don't hold back from sharing any other ideas about bumping you have... the 'belt buckle bumper' really looks cool!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 ArchsageVal

ArchsageVal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

First - welcome to the forums!

Let's see if we can work thru these questions........

.......Hopefully i've been able to shed a little light on your questions.

Please don't hold back from sharing any other ideas about bumping you have... the 'belt buckle bumper' really looks cool!

haha "newb guide to bumping"
sounds like my type of thread!

im having so much trouble opening my deadbolt!
ARRG
Posted Image

can someone draw a line where im supposed to pull out to?
i think thats my problem
also, when you add pressure, what is my hand supposed to be looking like?
mine looks like im smoking a wide cigarette

#6 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

I think it is just a matter of good timing, while hitting from a hammer you know when pin jumps and keep on turning make it rotate. need practice but will get success.

Chris