Photo
- - - - -

What is the difference on Bump Key and Depeth Key?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Key

Key

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

What is the difference? and what are the functional difference? and why is depeth key legal while bump key are not legal as for postal law? and does bumpkey.us ship bump key or depeth key?

btw, one suggestion, why don't bumpkey.us sells tomhawk too? it's a easier one stop shopping.

#2 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:08 AM

A depth key is just an unmodified key, cut to the "right" depth. Technically, they ship depth keys here...it's up to you whether or not to make it a "bump" key.

#3 lpfd23

lpfd23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

and how is it possible to turn a depth key into a bump key?

thank you!

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

lpfd23,
Take a search on this forum. I know this has been addressed a few times before.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 lpfd23

lpfd23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

hello,

thank you for the answer, i have tried to find answers but couldn't, i'm maybe using the wrong keywords.

i'll try again

thank you

#6 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

hello,

thank you for the answer, i have tried to find answers but couldn't, i'm maybe using the wrong keywords.

i'll try again

thank you

Search results for depth keys: http://www.bumpkeyfo...ight=depth keys

This explains what depth keys are. The lowest cut key, all 9 cuts in this example, is a perfect bump key for the pull out method.
Bump it to the next level.

#7 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

I have actually found locksmiths selling machine cut sets to depth keys - from 0 to 9, with 0 being a blank key to 9 being a bump key ... the thing is, the only sell these in sets of 10 keys for about $15 ... easier to just buy a set here...

Some of the eBay sellers offer "the 10-15 most popular depth keys, all cut to 8" (or 7, some even say 9 but they order often shut down)

The problem, from a friend that ordered a set, was that the seller did a HORRIBLE job with the file... like a 6-year old child with turrets syndrome .. no hope of salvage... the spacing was WAY off....

But the true locksmith suppliers that sell the machine cut depth key sets (the ones that have each key engraved with the depth) are often machine cut, but shit, why order a set of 10 keys for $15 (plus S/H) when you only need one!

But you machine cut bump keys from the site, fuck eBay!

//p
//p

#8 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

I also followed that link above, good information and relevant to my query also. Thanks for sharing

Chris