• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:51 PM

I recently purchased the eleven set, and went and had copies made. The m1 copy didnt work in the ML that i bought, but the orginal did. So I filed down the valleys a little and it worked extemely well. What I am getting at do the copies need to be modified in order to work. (And no I didn't go to wally world for my copies).

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

1.) If the machine that the keys were copied on was even the slightest bit off such that the keys were slightly less deep, it could make a difference... the bumpkey dot us keys are generally RIGHT on the money, so any less depth, and they'd need to be fixed...

2.) If the person copying the keys didn't put enough pressure into cutting the key, it could turn out a tiny bit shallow. With most modern cutting machines, however, the first situation is much more likely.

#3 ace1

ace1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

This my friend is why we research the keys we order. Just buy two sets or find a local shop that uses high quality blanks, avoid Axxes Defiant etc, they are way too soft for the use.

#4 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

yea I know. Tried bumping and the key broke off in the lock. :furious3:

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

We should all write letters to the president of the company that owns the Axxess brand, informing him (or her) of our disappointment over how poorly their products work when used as surreptitious entry devices.

In reality, ensure that you never EVER use any other brand of key blank except Ilco... or original blanks for the lock by the manufacturer, assuming that the manufacturer is decent. Nothing else even comes close.

#6 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:35 PM

Well said. If you start the petition I will sign it :smile:

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

i made copies of the M1 key and i use 2 of them one i filed down the tip and shoulder and one is not modified at all. i find that it depends on the lock.

on the master lock No.40 i find the the filed key works better. but on say a No.1 i use the stock key.